Need Help On Strawberry Filling

Decorating By KSMill Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 9:38pm by sweettreat101

KSMill Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 5

I've used fresh or frozen raspberries in a sauce as a filling for quite awhile but am freaking out over strawberries.I have a bride that wants a strawberry filling which is delicious, but now I'm having questions about refrigeration.

I just read in another forum that even in a gel, fresh strawberries can mold - even when sealed inside a cake and refrigerated. What?!?!

I would really appreciate your opinions about using a fresh strawberry filling. TYIA.

4 replies
sacakesandbakes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 5

I've made the Wilton strawberry filling recipe for wedding cakes before. The filling taste so good. I don't know about it molding inside the cake.

scp1127 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:57am
post #3 of 5

I'm not familiar with Wilton. Strawberries seem to be the most likely fruit to go bad. Just see if you have enough sugar, but I wouldn't do it. I would refrigerate. Most of my fillings need refrigeration.

sweettreat101 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 5

I used this recipe and it was a hit. Make sure you let the jello dissolve in the cream before whipping or you will get little sugar crystals. I also folded in sliced strawberries. Slice your strawberries and lay them on paper towels and pat them to remove some of the juices before folding into the cream. My cake traveled two hours to the party and she said they loved it. Just make sure that you chill your cake well before delivery. I use sliced strawberries on top of a vanilla mousse and have never had any problems with them molding. I assemble my cakes the day before delivery. With strawberries you want to decorate as close to the date of delivery as possible because they do get soggy and limp after a couple of days.

sweettreat101 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%