Butter Or Oil

Baking By caked4life Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 8:46pm by AnnieCahill

caked4life Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 6

I have a question about which is best to use. Is there an advantage to using one opposed to the other. Does it change the consistency, texture, etc..

5 replies
caked4life Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 6

caked4life Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks AnnieCahill...The link is great!

cs_confections Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 6

From the article: "They make whats called an extended mix, which means they start with a box mix then add stuff to it. Ive seen recipes that by adding a few cups of flour, sugar and some sour cream, one single box mix has enough other chemicals to make a cake rise, set, and stay moist for days and its large enough to feed 100. Think about it a box mix manufactured and sold to make an 8″ round cake to feed 10 can be extended to make almost an entire wedding cake with no additional baking powder or baking soda. The amount of extra chemicals in one box to be able to do that makes my head spin."

Where is that recipe?? icon_rolleyes.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 6

The article is from a blog of one of CC's members who bakes everything organic and from scratch. I didn't write the article but I remembered her experiment with baking using different types of fats.

I think the part you highlighted referred to the vast amounts of extender recipes like WASC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%