I Need Help Fixing My Buttercream!

Decorating By mbyrne Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 5:19pm by TexasSugar

mbyrne Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I need help with my buttercream. Every time I make it, no matter how much water/milk I add to it, it is "crusty." What I mean by that is when I make my roses, the edges are never smooth, they look like a carnations edges, jagged. I am just starting out and I would love any feed back on what I can do to fix it or if anyone has a really good basic sweet buttercream recipe that they will share I would really appreciate it.

Happy Baking!

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 5

What is the recipe you use?

I'm thinking you really don't have to change the recipe up much, it is probably just too dry. People often think because their icing makes cracked edges that it is too stiff, but that really isn't usually the case.

Add in about a tablespoon of crisco for ever cup of buttercream. You can also use about a teaspoon of piping gel to a cup of buttercream. Both will make the icing more creamy with out thinning it down.

A way to tell if your buttercream is a good consistency for making roses is to take a small amount of it and roll it up in a ball. Squish the ball between your thumb and finger. You want this icing to feel tacky to the touch. If it doesn't feel sticky at all, it's too dry and needs something to make it more creamy. If it sticks to your finger a lot, it's too soft.

Unlimited Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 5

Good advice from TexasSugarI agree!

I've never seen icing that was too stiff, only too drystiff is still workable (for me at least).

mbyrne Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 5

I am using the one in the Wilton class textbook. I took the class a couple of months ago. I think this is the recipe:
1c Crisco
1lb powdered sugar
7-8t milk or water
1t flavoring
1T meringue.

I am always too afraid it will be too runny, but adding more milk or Crisco may help, thanks

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 5

Try more crisco. If your icing always comes out too dry you can just add an extra spoonful in when you are mixing it all up. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%