Has Anyone...wilton Icing Sheets???

Decorating By jewels710 Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 4:08am by Motorhead

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone used the new wilton icing decorating sheets in their cricut?

Any other reviews on these sheets?

7 replies
Cargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargal Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 8

I saw this post the other day. There was also a post I can't find now and the op said she froze her finished cake and the print came off the sheet when it was thawing. Something to keep in mind.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-723535-wilton.html+sheets

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 8

I used them on a cake (not with the cricut) and found that the are hard to slice when serving. I won't use them again.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 8

I have used them. They work great, but you need to make sure you have a sharp blade. If not, it can grab the sheet and pull it up while it's cutting. Then the whole sheet is trashed. Also, I found that hard pressure works best. On medium it doesn't quite cut all the way through.

jewels710 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks!

I wanted to cut out guitar shapes for cupcake toppers and I don't have a cookie cutter or chocolate mold and do not really want to cut out 3 dozen guitars by hand! Took the order with 2 days notice and of course not a single supply shoppe in town has something I could use or I would have ordered a choc mold online (if I had more time).
Hopefully it will work - or I will be finding a plan B!!!

jewels710 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 8

Just an update for any future viewers of this post...I used the Wilton Icing Sheets in my cricut with 100% success!!!! I think my dial was set on "4".

They worked awesome! I made several dozen black guitars and used them as cupcake toppers. Quick & Easy. (Although I think I'll use a 40% coupon when I buy them next time as you only get one sheet for $4, but I was in a pinch).

On Wilton's website I dug around and found a small bit of info about using them in the machine. It was sort of helpful, a lil vague.
Their website also says they "dryout" when left out of their sealed package.
I don't agree. After I cut them out, (about 5 pm) I left them on the counter overnight to stiffen up which they did not even after Noon the next day so they were a lil droopy on the cupcakes since the neck of the guitar extended out wider than the cuppies were. They still looked & worked out fine. (I will post a pic in my gallery).

Originally when I cut them out I saved some of the outline scrap to try and shape into a loopy bow. I was experimenting with my new product (it says on Wilton's website that you can do this)...after 4 days the loop was STILL not dried out enough to hold a loop shape and this was not a large piece, only about 1 1/2 inch loop!!!

Overall, I would say, yes to Cricut use, Yes to cupcake toppers and for flat designs on the top or sides of cake as they will stick fine. But a positve No, to making a bow with it. Taste was next to nothing and it did seem like it would be hard to slice thru as a previous poster said.

Happy Caking!

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 8

I am loving these sheets. I have a shilouette and have finally had some sucess. BUT my biggest sucess has been using them with the scrapbooking punches. Worked great, but the never really "dried", so not sure about the bow thing...

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 4:08am
post #8 of 8

i was the poor soul that froze the sheets onto the cake!! yup the print just melted off when it came back to room temperature and the sheets literally disinegrated!! they have their uses-if you need super straight lines or a fabulous print-but again on flat surfaces of cake. i tried using them as bed ruffles and they did not hold their shape and when they dried out a bit they cracked. good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%