Maths Related Cake

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 12:56pm by MissCakeCrazy

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:00am
post #1 of 7

A customer wants me to do a cake for a maths teacher who is retiring. They want a brown coloured abacus on top of a white fondant cake with mathematical / calculation signs at the side. The thing is, I think the brown and white would look ghastly together. What other colour combinations can I suggest to her that would look more appealing? She doesn't want a multi coloured abacus as its more suited to a childs cake than a teachers.

6 replies
GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:58am
post #2 of 7

How about a shade of red or green for the fondant-covered base? I think those colors complement brown really well. Not sure exactly what they want in terms of the math signs, but how about making black rectangles out of fondant to look like a chalkboards and then write things like "2 + 2 = 4" in white royal icing. Just a thought. Good luck!!

MissCakeCrazy Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, I like your idea about the shade of green, I'll try to persuade her that it would compliment the brown abacus. By signs I meant mathematical formula signs such as %, < , > , =, + etc.. I was thinking of mentioning to the customer to have them in different colours or maybe in black, green and red to symbolise the colours a teacher uses when marking work. What do you think?

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with you, I think you're on the right track. And I think they would stand out more if they are cut out of fondant rather than being piped onto the cake. Good luck with that! Sometimes people only want what THEY want and aren't willing to take suggestions. Be sure to post your cake!

MissCakeCrazy Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 7

Perhaps Ivory and Brown - as that is keeping your colours within the same colour spectrum.

Bluehue

MissCakeCrazy Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 7

I'll give her those options

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%