Wedding Cake Tier

Decorating By Mae_mom Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 6:51pm by Darlene

Mae_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae_mom Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 10:52am
post #1 of 4

I'm doing a wedding cake for a friend soon and I just got stumped. (Maybe it's just too early in the morning for my brain to function correctly icon_smile.gif )

She asked for a 3-tier to feed 100 people. However, she does want to save the top tier. So... typically when I make cakes to save the top tier, I make that top tier a 6 inch round. But if I do that, the bottom two tiers will need to be at least 12-10...and with a 6 inch top, wouldn't that look goofy?? Or should I just make the top tier an 8 inch for her to save? That sounds kind of big to me for the freeze-cake. Or should I just tell her she's going to to need another tier?

Thanks for any help and other ideas!!!!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 4

According to the Wilton chart, a 10 inch serves 38 and a 14" serves 78, so you could do 6-10-14 and it would look just right.

Mae_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae_mom Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 4

Oh good grief, I never even thought of a 14!!! Thank you for that!!! I only have up to 12" pans so I just never thought about it!! But this is perfect!! YAY! Cake pan shopping for me!!

Thank you!!

Darlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darlene Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 4

Measure your oven first. Especially if you have a gas oven it may not fit! You can always buy the half pans.... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%