Decorating A Wedding Cake With Many Flowers....help!

Decorating By cindynes Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 6:35pm by cindynes

cindynes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:57am
post #1 of 4

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding my up-coming cake. This is going to be a 4 tier pound cake with fillings and frosted with BC.

My question is....I am going to be inserting approx 20 pre-grouped bunches of flowers that will be circling the cake and flowing down to the side. Each bunch has been wired and covered with floral tape and then inserted into small straws.

I guess what I need to know is this going to work with the way I have prepared them? They don't weigh very much but I am still concerned. I have copied a similar design done by Ron Ben Israel (my hero) but his website never shows how his flowers are attached to the cake.

Can someone give me some tips or feed back? I love everyones work on CC and this is where I usually hang out when on the computer. I will post pictures after the 14th.

Thanks everyone!

3 replies
CWR41 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:53am
post #2 of 4

I'd suggest building your cascade from the bottom up (if your design allows), because if the straws start to rip through the cake from the weight, at least the flowers will also have support from resting on top of one another.

cindynes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks CWR41. Yeah, I planned on doing that only because of the overlap design, but now that you mention the added support that's something I had not even thought of. I sure hope this turns out nice. This cake is for my son's wedding!!!

cindynes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 4

Here is a picture of what the flower grouping look like. They weigh approx 33ounces each, so they are not too heavy. I imagine using 20-25 of these on the cake cascading down from the top left of cake, circling down the back and then down the right side of the cake to the bottom. As you suggested I should build this cascade from the bottom going up and I think the leaves overlapping themselves will turn out quite nice. So, I hope the picture gives you a little more insight as to what I am going to try to accomplish.
Let me know if you have any more thoughts, they all would be appreciated greatly.
Cindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%