Cream Cheese Buttercream Under Fondant?

Decorating By magpie14 Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 4:07am by mplaidgirl2

magpie14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magpie14 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:23am
post #1 of 8

Sorry if this was already covered in a post, but my search is not working right now. I am doing a red velvet cake for the first time and with cream cheese icing. I've found a good cream cheese buttercream in the recipe section, but will it be stable enough to cover the cake in fondant? Thanks!

7 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:32am
post #2 of 8

don't know what recipe you are using, but I've done fondant over cream cheese buttercream before and it is fine.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:34am
post #3 of 8

Cream cheese is not recommended because it's too soft to hold up to the fondant.

magpie14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magpie14 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:41am
post #4 of 8

This is the recipe, if it helps:

Cream Cheese Buttercream

24 Aug

Posted by aznlepercon in Frostings

FavoriteAdd to favorites Print Print
Rating: 7.8/10 (6 votes cast)

I used this buttercream recipe for red velvet cake, its not too sweet and it turned out very yummy! icon_smile.gif

if you want your frosting to be sweeter, just add more powdered sugar
Ingredients

1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
about 1/4 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Instructions

mix butter, crisco, cream cheese, vanilla, and salt until all mixed together and looks smooth. add powdered sugar until desired sweetness.

anyone else out there..how do you use cream cheese icing with fondant...is it possible to fill the cakes with cream cheese and dirty ice them in regular buttercream..I don't know if this would taste okay or if the cake would still be unstable with the filling. Thanks for everyone's help!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:00am
post #5 of 8

I just tort and fill the cakes with cream cheese icing (I put nuts and sour cream in mine) and then ice the cake in regular buttercream before covering in fondant. My cream cheese icing is way to soft to hold up fondant.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:06am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRiStY_71

I just tort and fill the cakes with cream cheese icing (I put nuts and sour cream in mine) and then ice the cake in regular buttercream before covering in fondant. My cream cheese icing is way to soft to hold up fondant.

We do the same thing for fondant-covered cakes -- if the customer requests cream cheese (or vegan cream cheese) frosting, we put it between the layers and use vanilla buttercream on the outside of the cake.

leasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leasey Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:41am
post #7 of 8

If you use Cream cheese under fondant, what do you do about refrigerating it? I dont refrigerate my fondant because it gets tacky.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:07am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie14

Sorry if this was already covered in a post, but my search is not working right now. I am doing a red velvet cake for the first time and with cream cheese icing. I've found a good cream cheese buttercream in the recipe section, but will it be stable enough to cover the cake in fondant? Thanks!

My 3 tier baby shower cake in my album is red velvet with cream cheese frosting covered in fondant.

What I do is make a standard Cream Cheese frosting for the filling.
Spilt it in 1/2 then add an addtional 2 cups of powdered sugar to the 1/2 I'm going to cover the cake with. It makes it more stable.

I put all my cakes in the fridge too so it sets up before I put fondant on

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%