Need *strong* Royal Icing

Decorating By shanter Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 3:17am by KoryAK

shanter Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 11

I am piping snowflakes of royal icing (onto parchment) with which to decorate a cake. In order for them to be pretty and lacy, they are so delicate that they break so easily! Does anyone know if there's a way to make the royal icing stronger? I don't want to make solid clunky flakes. Something I could add to the RI? A magical substance? Fiberglass? (kidding, it would clog up the tip icon_biggrin.gif ) Throw some styrofoam packing peanuts in a blender, pulverize them, and add to RI? (again, kidding) Actually, it could be something non-toxic but not edible as they could be removed before eating the cake.

Can one make pastillage that is pipeable? Would the snowflakes dry stronger?

I know I can make 200 snowflakes to get maybe 30 that are transferred to the cake unbroken, but that sounds like a lot of work. And time.

Thanks for any help.

10 replies
SpringFlour Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 11

I know it's not royal, but I've made snowflakes with white candy melts. They held up pretty when transferring from the waxed paper.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:21am
post #3 of 11

If you use Color Flow, they'll be very strong.

Rae

smbegg Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:40am
post #4 of 11

I would suggest one of the dainty snowflake molds or presses and gumpaste. Can't get any stronger than that!

Stephanie

frankdiabetes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:42am
post #5 of 11

There was a previous thread where someone mentioned mixing Wilton gum paste mix with hot water to make a pipeable, flexible mixture that doesn't break like royal icing. Perhaps if you don't need them to be super rigid, that might work. I know what you mean about breaking piped royal decorations constantly! So frustrating!

cookiemama2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:50am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

There was a previous thread where someone mentioned mixing Wilton gum paste mix with hot water to make a pipeable, flexible mixture that doesn't break like royal icing. Perhaps if you don't need them to be super rigid, that might work. I know what you mean about breaking piped royal decorations constantly! So frustrating!

Is this what they call sugarveil? I've never tried it but if I remember its strong yet bendable. I'll try to find the forum I read it in and post it here.

frankdiabetes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:53am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

Is this what they call sugarveil? I've never tried it but if I remember its strong yet bendable. I'll try to find the forum I read it in and post it here.

I think it's sort of the poor man's version of sugarveil because I believe that can be quite expensive.

Carmen500 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:00am
post #9 of 11

I remembered that thread, someone says that wilton did not work the recipe is at the back of CK brand gumpaste mix.

shanter Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:58am
post #10 of 11

Thanks so much for all of the ideas! icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:17am
post #11 of 11

I have added tylose to royal (same like you would add it to fondant to make gumpaste) and that worked really well. The only thing that happened was after it sat awhile it thickened up a bit and was a little weird to pipe. Maybe just add it to a little at a time?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%