Silly Stacking Question

Decorating By Lozenger Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 9:28pm by tonedna

Lozenger Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there,

I'm making an 8 inch cake and a 6 inch cake to stack!
I went to the icing store today and she said I needed a 6inch cake board as well! I thought that you put the smaller cake on this board and then on to the 8inch cake - but looking at YouTube it seems you use the board to measure the right places for the dowels and that's it?
I'm completely confused!

Please could someone help!


4 replies
JillyPlot Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 5

You use the 6" cake board both to measure where you are going to put the cake so you know where to dowel. There should also be a 6" cake board underneath the cake. I found that most videos I've seen online didn't mention that one at all either. I didn't know that until I took a class on stacked cakes 2 weeks ago. Luckily I had never tried a stacked cake before that.

Apti Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 5

Watch this video (all the other videos are terrific as well!) on Cake Construction by Sweetwise Inc.:

Cake decorators ALWAYS put a cardboard cake circle underneath ALL their cake TIERS. A LAYER is a single 2" high cake. A TIER is two, 2" high cake LAYERS with frosting or filling in between. It allows the cake to be moved around while it is being decorated and then moved to the final display cake surface (which might be a glass plate or another, larger cardboard cake circle or thicker cake base).

The rule of thumb is that if your cake is 3-4" tall, you HAVE to have a cardboard cake circle underneath that TIER.

So...every cake you see in the Gallery that is taller than 4" has a cardboard cake circle underneath that 4" TIER.

CWR41 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 5

The rule of thumb is to use a support system for every 4" of cake height.

tonedna Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 5

You can use the pan that you bake the cake to measure where the dowels go.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%