Advice And Questions For Cake Balls....

Baking By tullicious Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 5:10pm by we2texans

tullicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tullicious Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 10

I've been making cake balls for awhile now, but I have my first big order coming up. They have requested several flavors. They only want to use brown and white chocolate, so I need to be able to decorate them so they can tell the flavors apart. I have some idea, but wondered if anyone had any way that they have done decorating for different flavors. Also, I need a display of some sort. It's for 90 cake balls, and it's for a wedding rehearsal dinner, so I want it to look good. Any ideas there? Thanks! You guys have helped me with so many questions. I really appreciate it. icon_smile.gif

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 10

What about putting different colored sprinkles on the different flavors?

I just make a cake pop bouquet this weekend. I used candy clay in the bottom of a metal container, and then stuck my pops in it. I did a lower level of them, then had some up above it (didn't stick the stick as far down), so I was able to get a lot of them in a smaller area.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 10

I usually overstripe them in a color to match the flavor. pink = strawberry, yellow = lemon, for example.

tullicious Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 10

I am making cake balls, not pops, so I need some sort of stand. Thanks for the advice on the cake pop display though. I might use that for pops! Leah, I suggested using the colors for drizzle, but they really want "white" and "brown" only. Sorry I didn't make that clear. I am not to use any other colors. Any other ideas? icon_confused.gif

pusskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pusskin Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 10

How about using drizzle patterns like some brands of chocolates do. Have some with the drizzles in the other chocolate some with self coloured drizzles. If that doesn't give you enough variation then cross drizzle and gain some more variations.
good luck with whatever you decide.

Yours aye
Puss

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 10

I use different color ties on the bags.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 10

How about putting them on different color plates/platters if you can't add other colors to the cake balls? And you can put the platters on different height blocks to make a tower. Good luck!

tullicious Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 10

i sure hope someone sees this and has a brilliant idea. i have to do these 90 cake balls, and i think i'll just use different drizzle techniques on them to distinguish flavors, but i need to do a display for them. i was gonna make this cute cupcake tower/stand, but who was i kidding thinking it would hold all 90??? i'm sure there has to be a great solution. maybe i just need to skip the tower and put them on platters???? i've almost lost my mind. this should be the easy part i thought. icon_sad.gif

Cakes-and-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-and-bakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:31am
post #9 of 10

I have made stands that can hold up to 200 using foam that I decorate. if you look in my albums there are a couple of the smaller ones to give you an idea. Ive also made stands using the same matiirials but added seperators so they look more tiered. Other ways I have displayed cake balls in trays with pretty liners decorated with silk flowers and ribbons, clear boxes with tissue paper on the bottom, etc. if it were me, I'd just use a pretty tray or even a mirror with a pretty frame. There is a wedding cake ball tray in my album that held 130 cake balls to give you an idea of size. Or you could use 2 smaller ones. If the customer is adamant about s stand, the possibilities are endless with the foam and selection of ribbons. For wedding stands I have used pretty lace ribbons that had crystals dangling off them, damask papers to cover the foam, mini jewels...you can make it as elegant or as festive as you like.
as for the different flavors, you have many great suggestions up there.

we2texans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
we2texans Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 10

I did just this over the 4th of July weekend for my mother's birthday cake. The cake was made into a chocolate box and when the lid was lifted, sitting on top of the cake was an assortment of four different cake ball flavors made to look like chocolates.

I did the easy route with the cake balls by using the same chocolate cake for the base, and then using different bindings for the different flavorings. The cake and cake balls is in my gallery.

Here's what I did to identify the four different flavors visually

1) Chocolate/Chocolate: cut into squares, dipped into chocolate, and sprinkled with chocolate jimmies

2) Chocolate/Grand Marnier: cut into squares, dipped into chocolate (no sprinkles)

3) Chocolate/Raspberry: rolled into balls, dipped into chocolate, and sprinkled with red sugar crystals

4) Chocolate/Peanut Butter: rolled into balls, dipped into chocolate (no sprinkles)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%