A 2 Tier Cake - Confused

Decorating By Dreamster Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 11:15am by JillyPlot

Dreamster Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 10:15am
post #1 of 6

I am planning a 2 tier cake.

I read that I need dowels to support the cake but I was planning on placing the top tier on the bottom tier with a thin board underneath it so that it is easy to remove and cut.

If I use dowels, I won't be able to do that will I?

Any advice? thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
JillyPlot Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 10:49am
post #2 of 6

Yes, you will. When stacking cakes, dowels support the second cake, which must be on a cake board. The dowels actually hold the board, not the cake itself.

Sam_paggers Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 10:49am
post #3 of 6

hi, watch this for good advice:

Unless you use a center dowel (normally for transporting or 4+ tiers), then the dowels will not affect taking apart the cake, and they are really easy to just pull out when serving xx

Dreamster Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 11:08am
post #4 of 6

Ok, so I insert the dowels into the bottom cake, and place the 2nd tier on a cake board, on top?

Thanks so much, I will check out the video later, can't access youtube from work!

tizzie Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 11:15am
post #5 of 6

yes you can! on you bottom tier put like 3 dowels in in the area that will be cover by the top tier in evenly spaced places then cut them to size so they don't come above the icing then place your top tier on the bottom if you need any more help here is a link that might help!

JillyPlot Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 11:15am
post #6 of 6

Yes, that is what you do. Make sure the cake board for the top tier is the same size as the cake so you can't see it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%