Structure For 3D Cake

Decorating By Pria Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 1:11pm by tizzie

Pria Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 9:45am
post #1 of 4

Hi All Cake Gurus

I need to make a cake for my sister's birthday but I need advice on making a structure for a particular cake.

I have done 3d cakes before and used simple dowels as supports but never one that needed hectic support structures.

Any advice will be great. I have included a picture of what I need to make so that its easier for someone to advise me.

The attachment thing did not work so well, here is the link to the picture :

3 replies
tizzie Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 10:21am
post #2 of 4

On the ace of cakes I've seen them do the structure in wire then cover it with modelling chocolate or you could just make the legs out of plastic pipes attached to a covered MDF board and make a board cut out to the shape of the dogs under belly and put it on top of the pipes and do some sheet cakes on top and carve them to fit really well! as for the head that's up to you! or you could just do him lying down? Hope I was some help if not sorry.

Pria Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 11:42am
post #3 of 4

Hi Tizzie...

I have seen the wire structures before but I would prefer to do it more with cake... The problem I have with using a wooden/wire structure is that I would need to get his face right and his mussle is the part which worries me the most.

I have seen it in cake challenges where they have cereal treats that are moulded but how in the world do they support those things ?

tizzie Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 4

I've used the cereal treats before and they are very light and set really hard you can mould them around things too! there are loads of recipes on-line for rice krispie cakes note the more butter i found in a recipe the softer it was i did a trial run which my family loved! if i was in the same room it would he easier to see you vision of the cake not sure if i can help much more!

Quote by @%username% on %date%