Help! Why Are My Cake Pops Cracking??

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 3:48am by dayna1205

forheavenscake Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:47am
post #1 of 5

What did I do wrong? I had them in the freezer, then put them in the refrigerator before dipping. They were NOT frozen when I started dipping and actually the ones that are cracking are some of the last ones I dipped, which would have not been as cold as the others.

Ugh.. i thought I did so good following directions and I still messed up.

FYI. . I used Almond Bark not candy melts. Which I thought was a safer way to go, but not only are they cracking but I found it very difficult to dip because the chocolate was so thick.

Please help so this doesn't happen again!

4 replies
forheavenscake Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:52am
post #2 of 5

Oh also. . .I do not have room in my freezer to put them in there now that they're decorated wrapped (on my previous post, someone had said to pop them back in once decorated until delivery).

Will they be ok sitting at room temp until Saturday? They are covered with a cello bag and tied with ribbon???

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:56am
post #3 of 5

There may have been a bit of condensation build up as they thawed. Make sure that you keep your chocolate warm and workable as you get to the last ones, so that it doesn't become too thick. I always add a couple of tablespoons of Crisco to my chocolate, whether it's candy melts, almond bark or chocolate chips. That seems to help with the workability.

HTH
Kat

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:58am
post #4 of 5

They should be okay as long as it's not too warm, but just to be safe, I'd stick them in the fridge.

dayna1205 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 3:48am
post #5 of 5

I agree, I would add shortening, the thinner the better and that may help them not crack, because the chocolate's not so thick. I do A LOT of cake pops, and it does take practice to get them just right. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%