Dense Cakes Issues

Baking By Cealy Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 1:17am by Cealy

Cealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cealy Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:36am
post #1 of 3

I am trying to get a dense cake recipe that I can use to carve a parrot for my husbands birthday on Friday.
I made a Madera (sp) cake and it is really, really dense to the point it almost feels raw where the cone incert came out from the teddy bear pan I used. So then tonight I tried a pound cake recipe-what a dissaster that was, I baked it for the hour and fifteen like it called for, it was still gooey so I let it cook for another ten minutes. It was really golden almost to the point of toasted! I pulled it out, tipped the pan to sit on its bottom like the instructions called for to cool. When I opened the teddy bear pan it literally slid out in a blob with crusty sides. When it broke in half it seemed to be baked to done, but still really buttery.
Any suggestions for yet another recipe to try? I am quickly running out of time since I have to cut out a ton of 'feathers' to decorate this parrot and do my day job too!
Help!

2 replies
SHYLERScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHYLERScakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 1:01am
post #2 of 3

Have you tried WASC? It's a doctored mix that I use all the time and it is quite dense. I'm not sure how it would work with the teddy bear pan, but if you have time, you should give it a try! HTH!!!

Cealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cealy Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 1:17am
post #3 of 3

No I have never tried that recipe, have you used it for carved cakes before? I would be worried that the fondant that I will end up covering it with will make the cake collapse.
I still have the first cake if all else fails I will use it, I don't think it IS raw its just moist.
Thanks!
C

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%