Anybody Heard Of Edible Laquer Spray?

Decorating By thin4life Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 1:17am by thin4life

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:28am
post #1 of 7

And if so have you tried it and did you like it? It is very expensive and just wondering if it really does what it says it does. Here is what this stuff claims to do:

'Lacquer Spray provides the food professional with the ability extend shelf stability of chocolate decorations, sugar decorations, marzipan, and pralines and showpieces. Provides shine and protection form humidity by forming a fine, thin layer of lacquer to prevent moisture form reaching the products. Increases the gloss and shine of chocolate and sugar showpieces'

Is it worth the $$$$????

6 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:39am
post #2 of 7

I haven't used the spray, but have used the paint on stuff. (See my guitar cake) It makes a really super shiny gloss. But it smells bad. I did not notice a taste issue.

Stephanie

SHYLERScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHYLERScakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:43am
post #3 of 7

I use the edible spray from chefmaster (found on amazon). I used the gold and pearl spray for my mom's birthday cake (in my photos). Sprays similar to spray paint and smells like sugar!

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:47am
post #4 of 7

Are you just looking for shine? I make mine with 2:1 vodka:light corn syrup mixture. Check out my poinsettia and ballet shoes pics and you can see what it does. Hth!

thin4life Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:59am
post #5 of 7

I am not really looking for shine. The description says it protects from humidty. I have a customer who has problems with her cakes in this humid weather. Any tips for her?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:47am
post #6 of 7

I've used the paint-on stuff too...confectioner's glaze. It stinks like crazy until dry, but then is odorless and flavorless. It doesn't protect cake from humidity though. It will keep chocolates from getting white spots, but on cakes it's really just used for shine.

What kind of trouble is your customer having? Is it really humidity, or is it heat issues? What kind of frosting are you using? Some recipes stand up better to humidity than others.

thin4life Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:17am
post #7 of 7

Texas_Rose, I think her frosting sweats in the humid weather. The recipe she is using is:

1 c. butter
1 c. shortening
1 tsp. popcorn salt
1/3 cup milk
2lbs. powdered sugar
Flavorings

And I think she uses meringue powder. Her and I both like this frosting recipe but it seems like it is 'gritty'. We are both on a mission to find that perfect frosting recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%