Wilton Fondant And Gum Paste Mold

Decorating By KatsSuiteCakes Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 4:18am by KatsSuiteCakes

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:24am
post #1 of 13

I bought the Nature Design today, and am on the verge of profanity.
I've followed the instructions, and dusted the mold with cornstarch, then filled with fondant. I had to scrape it out. Has anyone used these with success, and what am I doing wrong. Maybe gumpaste is a better option, but I would like to hear from others who have tried this.

TIA,
Kat

12 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 1:43am
post #2 of 13

I think straight gum paste or 50/50 is a much better choice for these types of molds. If you must use straight fondant, then popping it in the freezer for a few minutes will make removal easier.

HTH
Rae

RheaCakeQueen Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 1:53am
post #3 of 13

Are you using MMF or store bought? I have tried it with both and found that my MMF is a bit too soft for the mold, but store bought fondant worked like a dream with no problems.

If you are having problems with sticking, the freezer trick works great, but then you need to let it come back to room temp before you can handle it much or it sticks to your fingers.

Good luck!

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:20am
post #4 of 13

Thanks guys............I am using home made MMF, so I will take your suggestions and give it another try! thumbs_up.gif

Kat

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:39am
post #5 of 13

Knead a little tylose into your mmf, let it set for an hour (if you can) and then try it again. The molds work beautifully with gumpaste, but take a little more effort with MMF.

Chellescakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:50am
post #6 of 13

I would add tylose to the fondant , but instead of dusting the mould with cornflour, dust the actual icing .

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:52am
post #7 of 13

Thanks Texas Rose. I've always got Tylose in my tool box, so I'll definitely go that route. You are all so sweet for taking the time to share your ideas. This was a frustrating experiment. I'm still scrubbing MMF out of the mold, but don't feel the need to cuss anymore, so I would say this post is a success at this point. icon_lol.gif

Kat

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 3:00am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes

I would add tylose to the fondant , but instead of dusting the mould with cornflour, dust the actual icing .

Another great idea!

Thanks!!!

annabanana183 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 3:00am
post #9 of 13

I used the mold with store bough fondant, didn't dust it with corn starch but instead rubbed a little crisco before I used it for the first time and it worked like a charm .

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 3:04am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana183

I used the mold with store bough fondant, didn't dust it with corn starch but instead rubbed a little crisco before I used it for the first time and it worked like a charm .

thumbs_up.gif

THANKS!

Ellie1985 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 3:24am
post #11 of 13

I used Wilton fondant. I always use Wilton's for decorations. I have found it to be the most consistent and the easiest to work with and nobody eats the decorations anyway. I just dusted the mold with powder sugar and it popped right out no problem.

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 3:31am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1985

I used Wilton fondant. I always use Wilton's for decorations. I have found it to be the most consistent and the easiest to work with and nobody eats the decorations anyway. I just dusted the mold with powder sugar and it popped right out no problem.

I may try that as well. I'm looking for easy, not necessarily tasty.
It makes sense that Wilton's Fondant would work in a Wilton mold.

Thanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

Kat

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 4:18am
post #13 of 13

I added Tylose to my MMF, and used Crisco in the molds, and voila'.........success!

Thanks everyone so much!!!!!

icon_smile.gif

Kat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%