I Know I Know... We All Hate These

Baking By myheartsdesire Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 5:02am by myheartsdesire

myheartsdesire Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 15

When I search forums for already discussed subjects it won't work for me and recipe searches don't tell me how good a recipe works so here I go.

Here's my problem. I need a white cake recipe that will taste great with lemon curd filling. I think another flavor might work but it can't contain any chocolate.(on a side note would that include white chocolate I wonder....?)Anyway, Any white cake I have ever done has been to dense or taste like flour. Maybe I just don't like the flavor( or lack thereof in my opinion) or maybe I'm doing something wrong. Or perhaps I just haven't found the perfect recipe yet.
Any ideas for white or something that will taste good with lemon curd? How does yellow do with it?? Hmmm....I'm at a loss...

14 replies
carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 15

I'm going to tell you the easiest recipe in the world...it's the one the bakery I worked for used for every wedding cake, or any vanilla cake for that matter. And it tastes WONDERFUL with lemon curd.
And raspberry, strawberry...you name it.

Betty Crocker French Vanilla Cake mix (sift first)
Prepare as directed and then add a heaping 1/4 tsp of Cream Bouquet extract. (You can find it online or at cake supply stores)... don't go to a full 1/2 tsp,,, a little goes a long way.

Everyone thinks it's from scratch.
I top it with my regular buttercream which has cream cheese in it, but it's not a cream cheese frosting. Really good. And easy.

myheartsdesire Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 15

so nothing extra added like sour cream, pudding or anything? maybe that's what causes it's denseness. Thanks, I'll try it!icon_smile.gif

artscallion Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 15

White chocolate contains cocoa butter. But it does not contain cocoa solids. Because it does not contain the solids it, by definition, cannot be considered chocolate. It also does not contain thiamine, riboflavin, theobromine, phenylethylamine, and serotonin, all of which are contained in chocolate.

So, it depends on why the person does not want chocolate. Is it an allergy? to what exactly? or is it just a taste preference?

Ellie1985 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 15

carmijok, sounds good. I've been wanting to try Cream Bouquet. I would love to try your buttercream recipe if you are willing to share it. Thanks.

cakestyles Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 15

This search function on here is really messed up...I just searched for this recipe by typing in "buttermilk white cake" and I got a bunch of recipes for red velvet cake instead. LOL Oh well, fortunately I had copied this and e-mailed it to myself a while back.

This recipe can be found here on CC, it was submitted by a member named Tona, it's really a great recipe.

***I omit the lemon extract and use vanilla bean paste instead but since you're looking to pair it with lemon curd, you may want to make it as written.

Buttermilk White Cake

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 15

Really any white cake will work. You can try the white almond sour cream cake -- they have a box recipe and a scratch recipe here on the site.

myheartsdesire Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 15

I know any will work. I just have a problem with no flavor or bad flavor in white cakes. In my opinion, if a cake doesn't taste great it doesn't matter how beautiful it is decorated.

Apti Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 15

This WASC (White Almond Sour Cream) is very dependable and consistent and gets RAVE reviews by everyone who eats it. You can use any number of flavorings/fillings/frostings and it always tastes great. It is also great for carving. I LOVE this recipe and use it the most by far. (My family doesn't like any other "bought" cakes now--they say I've spoiled them.)

Here's the recipe I use, exactly as printed in the Cake Mix Doctor book:
Basic Sour Cream White Cake

1 package (18.25 oz.) plain white cake mix (I use Duncan Hines)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I use almond extract)

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 9:12pm
post #11 of 15
Originally Posted by myheartsdesire

I know any will work. I just have a problem with no flavor or bad flavor in white cakes. In my opinion, if a cake doesn't taste great it doesn't matter how beautiful it is decorated.

Oh, excuse me. I had the understanding you were looking for "I need a white cake recipe that will taste great with lemon curd filling." which is why I recommended the WASC. My mistake! icon_rolleyes.gif

FACSlady Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 9:23pm
post #12 of 15

This is the one my husband always asks for. It's from the cake doctor. I fill it with lemon curd and frost with IMBC.

Becca1007 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 11:15pm
post #14 of 15

I use the following cake recipe with lemon curd filling all the time. It is not a white cake but it is worth a shot. I usually bake as cupcakes @350 for 16 minutes. So adjust your baking time for a cake.

Also I use the method of mixing from the cake bible, mixing first the dry ingredients and then adding the wet ingredients to them. If you don't want
it to be lemon flavored, leave out the zest and juice and add a T of vanilla instead.

Lemon Cake

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 cup cake flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
½ tsp baking soda, sifted
¼ tsp salt
4 oz cream cheese, softened
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups sugar
3 large eggs
½ cup milk
1 Tbsp lemon zest
Juice of half a lemon

myheartsdesire Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:02am
post #15 of 15

Sorry bob...I had no right to be rude. I'm very sleep deprived lately..... Forgive me?

Quote by @%username% on %date%