Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting

Baking By idgalpal Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 2:54am by scp1127

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 19

I just had a friend ask me to make a carrot cake wedding cake with vegan cream cheese frosting. Anyone have a recipe or any experience with vegan Cream cheese frosting?TIA

18 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 19

Thank you!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 19

We make vegan cream cheese frosting all the time and our recipe is very similar to the recipes posted. FYI the best place to find vegan cream cheese is at Whole Foods, they usually have a much better price than regular grocery stores. They also sell vegan Earth Balance margarine.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgalpal

Thank you!

You're most welcome. icon_biggrin.gif

Always happy to help!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:15am
post #6 of 19

I have tried every vegan cream cheese, mainly the more expensive ones, looking for a good one. I cannot find one that tastes good. I have come to the conclusion that it is an acquired taste. Any suggestions on brands?

jason_kraft Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 10:54am
post #7 of 19

Vegan cream cheese will never taste as good as regular cream cheese, but in my experience the Tofutti brand is the closest.

scp1127 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:54am
post #8 of 19

Jason, do the vegan customers like it? I like vegan baked goods and I'm trying to add a few to my bakery, but that flavor has me stumped. I used one with tofu, but not sure the brand. I kept creeping up the price ladder but the taste didn't change much. Thanks for the info.

jason_kraft Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:03am
post #9 of 19

Vegan customers definitely like it, it's one of our most requested frosting flavors. We do charge a premium for it because the Tofutti cream cheese is more expensive than regular cream cheese.

On a purely subjective scale I'd say the vegan cream cheese frosting is 80% as good as regular cream cheese. If you tasted both side by side you could tell them apart, but if you gave someone a cake with our vegan cream cheese frosting they probably wouldn't be able to tell it was vegan.

scp1127 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:01am
post #10 of 19

I may not have added as much powdered sugar to it as I should have. Do you think that would help?

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:56am
post #11 of 19

LorAnn cheesecake flavoring will also bump up the flavor of vegan cream cheese icing. I don't like all the LorAnn flavors, but this one is yummy. I've made dairy-free "cream cheese" icing with and without tofutti, and with and without the LorAnn oil. My family members with dairy allergies prefer it with both.

As Jason says, vegan will never be the same as dairy cream cheese, but you have to appreciate it for what it is. Paired with the right cake, vegan cream cheese icing is delicious.

scp1127 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 19

I ws working on the flavor by itself. I'm going to give this another try. Thanks, I had given up.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 19

my daughter cannot have dairy. when i make her cakes and she wants a cream cheese frosting. i use a dairy free buttercreme with cheesecake flavoring. she loves it and says its as close to the real thing she can get.
ive tried adding other dairy free products from whole foods-but i def didnt like it-my daughter said it gave the frosting a "funky taste and texture"
i guess it comes down to each its own taste and preference.
cost wise it much better for me to just add the flavoring.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:04pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

my daughter cannot have dairy. when i make her cakes and she wants a cream cheese frosting. i use a dairy free buttercreme with cheesecake flavoring. she loves it and says its as close to the real thing she can get.
ive tried adding other dairy free products from whole foods-but i def didnt like it-my daughter said it gave the frosting a "funky taste and texture"

Isn't it amazing how good that stuff is???!!! They really captured the flavor.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 19

I love Toffutti brand "cream cheese." On a cracker, I'm not sure I can tell the difference between it and the "real thing" in a blind tasting. I also keep the LorAnn cheesecake flavoring on hand. it's lovely!

leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 19

I love Toffutti brand "cream cheese." On a cracker, I'm not sure I can tell the difference between it and the "real thing" in a blind tasting. I also keep the LorAnn cheesecake flavoring on hand. it's lovely!

leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:13pm
post #17 of 19

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:22pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

Isn't it amazing how good that stuff is???!!! They really captured the flavor.

yes i love it! i am a fan of vegan baked goods. so when i make her some goodies i have no problem eating what she eats

scp1127 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:54am
post #19 of 19

i was at the store today and I looked at the vegan cream cheese brands. I did try Tofutti and then one that was almost $6.00 for the same 8 oz. There was no difference in the taste with double the price. I am sure I needed to add more powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%