Blue And ??? = Brown?

Decorating By kger Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 3:08am by kger

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a lion face cake with brown and golden yellow. I happen to have a full batch of tiffany blue/turquoise in my freezer from 2 weeks ago. Do you think I can use it and mix it with something (brown??) to make a brown lion's mane, or should I just start fresh and save it for another occasion?

6 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 7

mix it with orange. Or to have more control over the specific brown, add red until you get purple. then add yellow until you get brown. If it's not the shade of brown you want, adjust the amounts of red, yellow and blue until you get the right shade.

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 7

Brown is a mixture of red, yellow, and blue.... so if you have a blue'ish color already mix some red and yellow (orange) and you should come up with a brown!

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 7

One more thing.... go to walmart, or michaels, hobby lobby just about any place that has crafts and get a color wheel... it's real inexpensive and you can rotate the wheel to show any color on earth and it shows what colors you need to make it!

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 7

Basic blue and orange usually make a brown. However you are starting with a turq. blue which will change it a bit. From my experience ...I've kept buttercream in the freezer forever and it is fine. I personally would mix a new batch of brown and keep the tiffany blue looking beautiful in the freezer until you need some shade of blue or green. Instead of playing around trying to make it brown and making some god awful color instead, that you may have to throw out!! I'm just sayin'.

cureVHAandCF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cureVHAandCF Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 7

oppisite colors make brown. Red+Green, Purple+Yellow, Blue+Orange, etc... All equal brown

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone! I never thought of looking for a color wheel to keep on hand. Since this is going on a chocolate cake, I wondered what effect adding cocoa powder at this stage would have. Would it give a lovely chocolate flavor?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%