How Do You Get Neat Rounded Edges With Fondant

Decorating By patjobes Updated 2 Oct 2014 , 6:31pm by cai0311

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 8

how do you get neat rounded corners with fondant, when i try half my cake is perfectly rounded edges but the other half is not as neat what is the trick to this

7 replies
Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 8

Youtube Tutorial "How to get sharp edges when covering a fondant cake Part 3 of 3 Inspired by Michelle Cake Designs"... it's long but be patient it's worth it. She has some really good tutorials and this one is a great one for getting sharp corners. You can use this method with either ganache or buttercream just make sure you let the butter cream chill/crust.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 8

I think it really has a lot to do with the pans you use. I use all Wilton pans and could never figure out people got that clean crisp edge on all their cakes until I realized that is was never going to happen because the Wilton pans have a curve on their edge while pans like the Magic Line Pans are at a 90 degree angle.

The only other thing I can think is that if you use a denser cake recipe then when you go to frost and cover your cake you can manipulate it a bit better with out it crumbling.

I am still working on the same thing. I always rush through crumb coating and frosting, and I find the more time I spend on that, the better the cake looks when covered in fondant.

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 8

Yup- Magic Line pans added to my Christmas list- (double sets of odd and even sizes) and an Agbay-- I better be a very good girl this year!!!!

mrsgreshcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsgreshcakes Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 8

Is there any way to get these rounded edges without having to buy a pan with a rounded edge?  Maybe a tutorial in existence?  For the most part, I love sharp edges and can achieve them.  But there are some designs that I think a softer, rounded edge just looks better.  Any other suggestions???

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 8

AInstead of buttercream I ice my fondant covered cake with white chocolate ganache. The ganache allows me to get either really sharp edges or rounded edges depending on how the cake is iced. Maybe try a different type of icing.

mrsgreshcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsgreshcakes Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by cai0311 

Instead of buttercream I ice my fondant covered cake with white chocolate ganache. The ganache allows me to get either really sharp edges or rounded edges depending on how the cake is iced. Maybe try a different type of icing.

Thanks cai0311.  That's a great suggestion, but not all of my clients like or want ganache.  I didn't think there were so many people it the world that don't like chocolate, but I'm finding there are more than I realized.  And I'm horrible, HORRIBLE with white chocolate ganache.  I am dying to find an easy, amazing spreadable white chocolate ganache recipe.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 8

AI just tell people my fondant covered cakes are iced in ganache. It is a statement, but a question a pose to see if that okay.

I like white chocolate because like buttercream, it goes with everything. The flavor of it is not overpowering.

My recipe is 3 parts white chocolate (a good quality chocolate) to 1 parts cream. Make sure to go by weight. I let it sit overnight to firm up and then whip it to death with my hand mixer so it is super creamy. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%