Strawberry Margarity Luau Cake

Decorating By mandyloo Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 6:45pm by aggiechef

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 3

My sister in law requested a cake off between my other sil and myself for her 40th birthday luau.
I have no high hopes on the decorating, I am a beginner and though I have cute ideas sometimes, my execution is lacking. I know it, and I'm learning.
My SIL (not the birthday girl) is a fabulous decorator (she made my wedding cake last month) and has about a decade on me, so I think my best bet is to go with a great and somewhat unusual flavor, so I was thinking margarita. I've made and loved macsmom's margartita cake before and though it doesn't seem very Luau-y, my sil thinks it would be great.

Enough blab, now for the questions:

Has anyone ever made a strawberry margarita cake? I was thinking of just adding diced strawberries to the cake batter, and a layer of sliced strawberries in the lime curd filling, and then just topping with tequila lime buttercream.

Too much? Or right on?

I'm going pretty simple on the deco- sand, tiki umbrellas..

I would love any ideas!
The cake is due Saturday.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 3

we make a strawberry margarita cake, you can use a vanilla cake mis and instead of the water use the starwberry margarita mix and add some fresh lime juice to it, this is what i suggest for beginners, if you want to make one from scratch, i use the vanilla butter cake recipe from the mermaid bakery ( can be found in recipe section) as my go-to base scratch recipe, make as directed but add in some strawberry extract witht he vanilla, one everything is beaten together add in about 3/4 cup of pureed strawberries ( fresh or frosen) add in some fresh lime juice to taste. ( i will even use margarita salt instead of regular salt in my batter) i will often add in some pink coloring to give the color more "pow". then for the filling i would do a whipped buttercream with lime juice and fresh strawberry filling, the way i make my strawberry filling is boil water sugar and cornstarch till thick, take off heat add a package of strawberry jello and then stir in frshh sliced berries.

sometimes if i'm feeling cheeky i use lime jello instead, you can also add lime or strawberry jello into your batter, just sift it into your dry ingredients.

I use a whipped buttercream because sometimes i feel the straight buttercream can be a little too sweteet and overpower the fruit flavors.

HTH

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 3

Strawberry margarita cake is one of my more popular flavors. I use box cake mixes so when doing this one, I start with the strawberry cake mix and substitute margarita mix for the water called for. I also generally put finely chopped lime zest in my buttercream.

With that being said, your idea of adding the strawberries and doing a lime curd filling sounds absolutely AMAZING. If nothing else, try it and see how it turns out. You may just discover your new favorite flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%