What Kind Of Wire Do I Use To Make Motorcycle?

Decorating By KimLynnC Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 10:06pm by bbliss

KimLynnC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimLynnC Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 7

Hello. I am wanting to make a gum paste motorcycle as a cake topper. I figured the best way to go about this would be to make a wire structure and then build the gumpaste around it. I have never made a figure this way before and am not sure what kind of wire I need to use. Maybe there is a better way of making this motorcycle? I would appreciate some help or suggestions. Thank you all so much.

6 replies
jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 7

I recently made a bicycle cake topper out of just gum paste, it was a little fragile in the end, but I was happy with how it turned out (http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2060062). My understanding of the wire technique is to use it with modelling chocolate. I recently bought some wire and made some modelling chocolate to try this out, but haven't had a project for it yet. I would think the problem with trying to wrap gumpaste around wire is that it will be hard to hide the seams in the end. Good luck!

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 7

Wow, I'm supposed to be making a motorcycle topper right now, but instead i'm on cc. lol.

Mine is supposed to look like a suzuki sport bike. Since it's parts have less open space I'm gonna try and use RKT to shape the frame and then do all the detailing and covering in fondant.

KimLynnC Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:02am
post #4 of 7

Jennajane I see that makes a lot of sense. I decided to just build the motorcycle piece by piece and then paint and glue together. I hope I made the right choice but so far so good. Thank you.

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 7

I recently made a motorcycle and I used gumpaste and a combination of toothpicks and a lollipop stick for my structure. It held up well, but I'm not sure I would do it that way again. Next time I think I'll try wire and modeling chocolate.

Delivering this cake was extremely stressful. icon_cry.gif I had my oldest son in the car with me and told him his only job was to watch that cake! When I handed it to the client, I could finally breathe.

KimLynnC Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 7

@Crushed I know what you mean I am always sooo relieved when the cakes are picked up and out of my hands LOL.

bbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbliss Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 7

@jennajane, there really are no seams when using modeling chocolate. That's the beauty of it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%