Arrrggghhh! I Have Had It With Satin Ice Fondant!!

Decorating By angelcakes11 Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 9:45pm by sweettreat101

angelcakes11 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 7

I dont know what to do!! I have been kneading fondant all morning and it is now sitting in the garbage! its was all cracking even before I got it on the cake I added shortening still nothing. I need help what am I going to do. The cake has to be in lavender and satin ice is the only one that I can find right now that has that color. I have to go buy more of the same satin ice, any ideas on what I an do with the second batch or am I just doomed???

6 replies
mommie917 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 7

I gave up on satin ice a few months ago...the past few tubs I've received were terrible! I'll never buy it again. The only thing I can suggest is making your own and coloring it or test out another brand. I hope it works out for you, I know what it feels like when satin ice doesn't work and you panic icon_smile.gif

cakesondemand Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 7

Do you have a fan or air conditioner running while your working with satin ice if so turn it off and it should be fine.

KateLS Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 7

One person on CC mentioned they added a bunch of glycerin to their satin ice and it made a huge difference.

Good luck!!!

angelcakes11 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:26am
post #5 of 7

I wanted to thank you guys for your advice. I did get a different fondant called choco pan it was amazing! no rips , no tears and great to work with, I will get a picture up of the cake as soon as I get the finishing touches on it, I also had a football cake to do and used the Fondarific, it was amazing, I didnt even dust the surface with icing sugar it didn't stick. its unfortunate that it doesnt come in a wider variety of colors, not that I know of anyway. No more satin ice for me!

angelcakes11 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:29am
post #6 of 7

After having had so many problems with the satin ice fondant, I discovered a fondant called choc pam and the fondant on this cake is close to flawless. thanks again guys for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

You can see the cake here

sweettreat101 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 7

Great job. I thought about trying Choco pan for my cousins wedding cake last year but since it was made with chocolate I didn't want to take a chance on someone having a food allergy since some people are allergic to chocolate. I recently discovered Fondx and love it. Not the Fondx ultra just the regular. So easy to work with. I agree I don't like Satin Ice and will not purchase it again. I ordered 15 pounds for a wedding cake and it was a nightmare to work with never again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%