Questions About Cake Pops

Baking By Honeypudding Updated 7 Nov 2013 , 2:06am by icedcupcakes

Honeypudding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeypudding Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:57am
post #1 of 46

hi,

I know cake pops usually come in the shape of a ball. Will I be feasible to use a cookie cutter and get them in the shape of a star?

After the pops have been coated with candy melt or even chocolate... If I am to put it in the fridge, wouldn't it condense when I bring it out and get them ready for display? Will that spoil the cake pops look?
However, if I don't put it in the fridge... Will it hold in the hot n humid temperature?

Thanks in advance...

45 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:41am
post #2 of 46

I have a Wilton valentine kit that came with a silicone mold for heart shaped pops. I know M's has a star shaped mold. I think that would work. You could do it with a cutter, just have to pack it in tight. That's how Bakerella does the bases of her cupcake pops.

MyOccasionalCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyOccasionalCakes Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 46

ABSOLUTELY! You can use cookie cutters to make any shape pops! The simpler the shape, the better. I have done starts (see pic), hearts and flowers.

I do NOT recommend storing in the fridge (unless you have used perishable ingredients such as homemade cream cheese frosting). If you must do so, Bakerella suggests that you wrap them individually in treat bags and place in an airtight container.

Either way (cold or not) cake pops do NOT like warm weather! The chocolate will soften/melt in hight temps. If displaying for a party, try to keep them indoors or in a cooler until just before serving.

MyOccasionalCakes Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 46

sorry... it didn't attach my pic. I'll post it in my gallery, and you can see it there!

sugarxosugar143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarxosugar143 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 46

everytime i make cake pops almost all but 1 or 2 will crack! any suggestions?

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarxosugar143

When making your pops, do you put them in the fridge or freezer to harden up before you dip them? If you do, you need to make sure you give them enough time to come back closer to room temp before you dip. If they are too cold when you dip, they will expand when they warm up and crack your coating. I usually only put them in the fridge for 10-15 minutes, and usually let sit out on the counter for about 5-10 minutes. Hope that helps!

MyOccasionalCakes Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 46

@ sugarxosugar143 - Do not FREEZE cake pops before dipping. Chill them in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. I usually chill mine longer to be sure they are set in the center. Then I dip the sticks and push them into the balls until all are on sticks, put them back in the fridge for 5-10 min and then start dipping. I had this problem a lot when I first started making them, but hardly ever happens to me now. GL!

sugarxosugar143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarxosugar143 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarxosugar143

When making your pops, do you put them in the fridge or freezer to harden up before you dip them? If you do, you need to make sure you give them enough time to come back closer to room temp before you dip. If they are too cold when you dip, they will expand when they warm up and crack your coating. I usually only put them in the fridge for 10-15 minutes, and usually let sit out on the counter for about 5-10 minutes. Hope that helps!

ill try that next time! thanks!! icon_smile.gif

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 46

I was actually just thinking about this sort of thing this morning. I make some cake balls & the chocolate was getting condensation on it after I dipped them, and if I dipped a second time, the chocolate was seizing up due to the moisture.

Next time, I'll just try chilling them in the fridge before I dip them.

Honeypudding Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 46

I just tried the cake balls today with Wilton candy melts and I totally regretted!!! Oh boy... Now I know why many of you says that it taste horrible. I ate one, my husband ate one... We threw the rest into the bin. It is horribly sweet and after drowning ourselves with lots of water, the tastes lingered... Eewww...

I'm sorry if there are Wilton candy melts lovers out there but I think I will not be using it again.

I have another 15 uncovered cake balls, I will melt dark chocolate to cover it instead...

And thanks to all who have given me valuable advices... It has been a wonderful learning journey

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 46

I usually mix about half candy melts and half real chocolate chips. Tastes much better that way!

Honeypudding Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 46

But I wanted the cake pops to be of baby blue ... Can I use white chocolate and then put in the colouring?

Crazyforcupcakes Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:05pm
post #13 of 46

Maybe mix blue candy melts with white chocolate?

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:20pm
post #14 of 46

I never use candy melts, because they are just hydrogenated oil and sugar and other chemicals. And they taste SO much better with real chocolate! Yes, you can color white chocolate. I use Ghirardelli, and when I need it colored, I use the whitechocolate with gel color added.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:11pm
post #15 of 46

I personally use & like Mercken's Chocolate. To color, I get the white & use the candy colors & flavorings from my cake/candy supply store.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:17pm
post #16 of 46

Merken`s isn't chocolate though either. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it tastes better than wilton, but I can't imagine that any artificial chocolate could taste as good as actual chocolate. icon_smile.gif And since it works just fine to cover cake pops, why not use the real stuff that your body won't just turn into a toxic clog in your tummy? icon_biggrin.gif

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:06am
post #17 of 46

I love the idea of using cookie cutters to make different shape cake balls. I am definitely going to try them sometime soon.

Honeypudding Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:58am
post #18 of 46

For the remaining cake pops, I used semi sweet dark chocolate and melted it. It tasted good and have quite a few good comments. So I am so not using wilton now icon_smile.gif

THanks everyone

Honeypudding Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 3:03pm
post #19 of 46

Today, I tried the cake pop with white chocolate but it did not work out... Hmmm ... Back to more research

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 3:40pm
post #20 of 46

Wow!! I do just the opposite as some of you. I freeze my cakeballs solid, maybe refrig for about 5 minutes after that and then dip immediately. I found whenever I let them defrost any more than that, I had a problem with them staying on the stick when I dipped them. Yes, some do crack every time....Bakerella says this is from rolling the cake balls too tightly. They will expand but if you roll them just so they are sticking together instead of cramming them together it gives them room to expand without cracking the shell. That definately has helped with less cracking. Also, I've found that homemade cakes work much better for me than box mixes. Not only do the box cakes seem to crack more, the oil leaks out through the crack.

daisy81382 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy81382 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:13am
post #21 of 46

If you use chocolate chips do you have to add any shortening so that it hardens?
I'm particularly interested in white chocolate since I have to make some colored ones in September but would like for the chocolate to get hard. If u do need to use it do you know how much? I would normally just use almond bark but if I can use chocolate chips thats even better.

Thanks for any advice icon_smile.gif

Honeypudding Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:41am
post #22 of 46

I had no luck melting white chocolate chips... icon_sad.gif

Another question... can I use wilton icing color gel to color my melted white chocolate?

emfledd7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emfledd7 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:25pm
post #23 of 46

I'm battling a stressful birthday cake order that includes 40 individually wrapped cake pops as party favors. I've tried twice this week to make a trial run of a few cake pops..but had no success.
I made a pound cake recipe & used 1/2 cup buttercream, shaped them into cars (Disney cars theme). I bought the Cake Pop book & followed the instructions of shaping the pops, chilling for 2 hours, dipping the sticks in the chocolate & inserting them into the pops & again chilling for 2 hours. When it came time to dip, I used Wilton candy melts & it wasn't thin enough..so I added some canola oil. Although it covered well, it either didn't set or the cake pop had condensation.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Crazyforcupcakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm
post #24 of 46

I always freeze my cake balls (haven't tried pops yet) until they're pretty
solidly frozen, and I've never had a problem with cracking. I always mix real chocolate chips or white chocolate chips with candy melts, and I always get a nice, smooth surface that tastes great, too.

TheFabFondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheFabFondant Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:23pm
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by emfledd7

I'm battling a stressful birthday cake order that includes 40 individually wrapped cake pops as party favors. I've tried twice this week to make a trial run of a few cake pops..but had no success.
I made a pound cake recipe & used 1/2 cup buttercream, shaped them into cars (Disney cars theme). I bought the Cake Pop book & followed the instructions of shaping the pops, chilling for 2 hours, dipping the sticks in the chocolate & inserting them into the pops & again chilling for 2 hours. When it came time to dip, I used Wilton candy melts & it wasn't thin enough..so I added some canola oil. Although it covered well, it either didn't set or the cake pop had condensation.

I've never mixed the Wilton candy melts w/ canola oil, but I do mix it with crisco. Usually a tablespoon per cut of wilton melts. The candy always dries hard and it makes them a little bit shinier. HTH icon_smile.gif

jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:41pm
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by emfledd7

Using canola oil is a NO NO! if you have to thin use shortening. Vegetable oils are a liquid and will prevent your chocolate from hardening. Shortening on the other hand will melt when heated in the chocolate but when cool it goes back to it's solid state.

MyOccasionalCakes Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 4:36pm
post #27 of 46

While I prefer real chocolate to candy melts, I have used both. I usually add paraffin crystals to thin it a bit. You can try a bit of shortening if you are using real chocolate, but with candy melts, oils usually make it worse.

Honeypudding Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 7:18am
post #28 of 46

i've got one more question with regard to cake pops... can i mix white chocolate with the candy melts?

thanks

Crazyforcupcakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:36pm
post #29 of 46

I always mix regular white chocolate with white candy melts, and it works out just fine. It also tastes a lot better than candy melts alone.

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 7:27pm
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyforcupcakes

I usually mix about half candy melts and half real chocolate chips. Tastes much better that way!

I do this too. The chocolate flavor really comes through while giving a smooth, even coating. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%