Ganache-Will It Melt????

Decorating By goodnightelizabeth Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 9:15pm by goodnightelizabeth

goodnightelizabeth Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:56am
post #1 of 5

Doing a wedding cake in 4 days.....outdoor reception......cake may or may not be in shade. If I use ganache as my crumb coat, will it melt, and thus seep out from underneath the fondant??? icon_cry.gif
Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated!!
Oh-and can I use candy melts to attach sugar flowers to the cake...or will that soften and my flowers fall off too?

4 replies
cakestyles Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:18am
post #2 of 5

A lot depends on the temperature of the cake when you deliver it and how hot it is outside.

I would chill the cake completely right up until delivery and insist that it be placed in the shade.

Do you know how long the cake will be outdoors? I would advise that it not be left out for more than an hour or two, especially if it's very hot.

There aren't too many cakes/icings/fillings that will hold up to hot sun and temperatures for an extended length of time.

Good luck!

goodnightelizabeth Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 4:28am
post #3 of 5

Thanks- I think the reception will be for atleast 3hrs. I highly suggested it be placed in the shade, but as the sun sets, it may see direct light.

Just really needed sharpest corners possible and I've read that ganache is the way to do it!

robbemorka Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:56am
post #4 of 5

that is true. it also depends on the chocolate-cream ratio, and if you are using dark or milkchocolate. Also I recommend using real chocolate-ganache, not the one made out of candy melts.

goodnightelizabeth Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks again for your reply. I'm sure there has been another forum on this's just that I don't understand how to properly search for it.
Happy Caking! I'm going for it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%