Icing Questions

Decorating By hrnewbie Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm by TexasSugar

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 1:36am
post #1 of 11

Can someone please walk me through how various icings interact? I've read quite a few posts where things have fallen apart and I'm anxious to avoid that happening with my cakes. So, since Im really new to this whole decorating thing, I live by two rules:

1) If the cake is buttercream iced then it gets buttercream decorations. No fondant, gumpaste, or royal icing.

2) If you cover a cake in fondant, then decorations need to be in fondant, gumpaste, or royal. No buttercream.

I know thats not accurate becuase I see so many beautiful cakes with mixed media but Im not sure what goes with what.

Can you put royal icing or fondant or gumpaste on a buttercream cake? Can you use buttercream to decorate a fondant covered cake?

10 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 11

Yes you can put fondant or gumpaste on a buttercream cake. You can put royal icing on buttercream as well (Wilton has a whole course that teaches royal icing flowers that go on a buttercream basket weave cake in the end.

You can also use buttercream or royal icing on a fondant covered cake.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Yes you can put fondant or gumpaste on a buttercream cake. You can put royal icing on buttercream as well (Wilton has a whole course that teaches royal icing flowers that go on a buttercream basket weave cake in the end.

You can also use buttercream or royal icing on a fondant covered cake.

I know you already know this Texas Rose, but for the OP, Royal Icing has to be dry before interacting with buttercream.

TexasSugar Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 11

I've actually piped royal icing wet royal on buttercream once. I had some left over and I was doing a quick cupcake cake for my friend's son. No problems at all. Didn't turn into a runny mess or anything.

I've also piped royal icing on wax paper that has been smeared with crisco, as well as a fondant covered cake that was coated in crisco, and again no problems at all with those.

I wouldn't close royal icing decorations, fondant or gumpaste up in an airtight container with a buttercream covered cake though. The moisture from the buttercream will end up softening or making your pieces wilt.

By the way, I'm TexasSugar. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:

People seem to use our names interchangably icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

People seem to use our names interchangably icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Yes it seems so. icon_wink.gif

CalhounsCakery Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:

I've actually piped royal icing wet royal on buttercream once. I had some left over and I was doing a quick cupcake cake for my friend's son. No problems at all. Didn't turn into a runny mess or anything.

I've also piped royal icing on wax paper that has been smeared with crisco, as well as a fondant covered cake that was coated in crisco, and again no problems at all with those.

I wouldn't close royal icing decorations, fondant or gumpaste up in an airtight container with a buttercream covered cake though. The moisture from the buttercream will end up softening or making your pieces wilt.

Sorry about the name!

Now, I've had my royal icing melt on me. Are you using a particular recipie?

TexasSugar Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 11

Wilton's recipe.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 11

All my cakes are buttercream based and I use fondant and gum paste all the time as decor. I've used royal icing on my buttercream with no problems either. You can also freeze royal icing too I found out! Which is great for me because I always have more than enough left over.

CalhounsCakery Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:

Wilton's recipe.

Are you using a special shortning in your buttercream? Any time I've failed to make sure that I have no shortning on my tools, or that of my students, every flower melts. They can be placed on fine after they dry, but not while they are being made. What's your trick?

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 11

Crisco.

Keeping grease out of royal is important while you are making it, but one it is made, I haven't had any issues with it.

The only time I've had melting flowers in class is when the icing wasn't mixed long enough (it feels very thick, but doesn't hold shape) or when it is too soft.) Usually I let it dry before putting it on things, but as I have said I have piped on crisco coated fondant with out any problems, royal dried fine, and stayed there for over a year until I threw the dummy away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%