Covering A Dummy With Buttercream?

Decorating By MaurorLess67 Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 2:49am by TexasSugar

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:47am
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys-

Sorry if this is a repeat question- I can NOT seem to ever get the search to display what I need- icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_redface.gif
icon_cry.gif

I want to practice smoothing buttercream on both round and square dummies- I have covered them in press and seal- thought I saw that somewhere but the buttercream is not really sticking well to it-- should I just cover the styrofoam dummie without any covering- I plan on taking it on and off as I need much practice- icon_lol.gif and also practicing with fondant-

Any suggestions on how to work with the dummy for all of these medians?

TIA
Mo

4 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:52am
post #2 of 5

I use plastic wrap to cover my dummies and it works well for buttercream or fondant.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:57am
post #3 of 5

I never covered my dummies with anything. I just put the BC directly on the dummy. It dried hard as concrete but was very easy to get off when I wanted to change design. (Once I got the spatula under the layer of hardened icing, it peeled off in big sheets.)

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 1:38am
post #4 of 5

That's what I was hoping for Indy- by the way- I'm using YOUR buttercream!!! just love love love it!!! First time I have ever been able to get a buttercreram to crust!

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Mo

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:49am
post #5 of 5

While I do like dummies for some things, I think the best thing to practice on is a real cake. There are things you can do to dummies that you can't do to cake. And there are issues you'd have to deal with ot work with that you won't have with dummies. I also think dummies can also be harder to work with than real cake sometimes.

That said, I'm like Debi, I never cover the dummy in anything. If I have to I'll soak a dummy in hot water and leave it out to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%