Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!

Decorating By SMS936 Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 12:28am by SMS936

SMS936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMS936 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 5

I'm new here so I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this! I'm making a cake for my nephew. 2 tier mickey mouse clubhouse on bottom tier and gears from the clubhouse on the top! I'm not sure if I'm just using the wrong tools for cutting fondant or what but all of the gears that are supposed to have corners and squares in them look awful!! How thin should the decorations be? and how in the world to I cut them without a cookie cutter!! The cake is supposed to look somewhat like this photo http://www.hottestbirthday.info/tag/mickey-mouse-birthday-cake-uk-2011-%7C-mickey-mouse-birthday-cake-template-2011-%7C-mickey-mouse-birthday-cake-asda-2011-%7C-mickey-mouse-birthday-cake-recipes-2011
I found online and this persons cutouts look like perfection! Please help\\

4 replies
sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 5

LOL! I will be making the same cake this week! icon_smile.gif I am just going to use a round cookie cutter to give me the general circle form & then use my exacto knife to cut the gears out. They shouldn't be too thick or they will stick off the cake. HTH!

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 5

I just made a similar cake last month (it's in my pics). I did like Sebrina suggested and used the circle cutters and an exacto knife. The hardest part was the spacing for the cutouts coming out correctly. I rolled my fondant pretty thin and let it sit for a few minutes before I cut out the gears. After I cut them I let them sit for a good while until they were semi-dry so I could handle them without stretching or tearing. HTH. PM me if you have any more questions I could answer for you.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 5

I just did a Mickey cake over the weekend and I spent the most time on the gears. I kept throwing them away. I finally used round cookie cutters and an exacto knife. I will be posting a pic shortly of it.

SMS936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMS936 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:28am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much! I will be trying all of your suggestions tomorrow icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%