Last Minute Wedding Cake Cancel..help!!

Decorating By cacakes Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 10:28pm by MimiFix

cacakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 7

I need some help on how to handle a last minute wedding order cancel. My customer's wedding was planned to be this coming weekend. I baked all the cakes already and have them frozen. I just got a message from the bride today saying the wedding is off. icon_surprised.gif

She hasn't said anything about a refund, but I'm just wondering what to say just in case she does ask. Anyone had this situation before? And what is the best way to handle it?

6 replies
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 7

What does your contract say?

At this point if she asks I would tell her that she is not getting a refund. I doubt any of her other vendors are giving her one.

Ruth0209 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 7

My contract says no refund within two weeks of the delivery date. If a bride had some kind of tragedy, I would refund everything but my expenses. Otherwise, sorry. You pass up other orders when you book a cake that you're not going to recoup at that late date.

Norasmom Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 7

I would tell her no refund as the cancellation happened so soon to the wedding date. I hope, as others have said, you had a contract stating such.

Norasmom Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 7

I would tell her no refund as the cancellation happened so soon to the wedding date. I hope, as others have said, you had a contract stating such.

Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 7

Nope..No refund...barring a family death or something but just because they may have decided to call it off...You keep the deposit.

MimiFix Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacakes

She hasn't said anything about a refund, but I'm just wondering what to say just in case she does ask. Anyone had this situation before? And what is the best way to handle it?

Unfortunately, I've had this situation a couple of times and I sympathize. It's sad for the couple and their families. But for vendors, it's strictly business. The woman may never request a refund, but if she does you need to quote the contract. You should not be penalized because of a change in their plans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%