Melting Buttercream

Decorating By nikkijmw Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 6:55pm by nikkijmw

nikkijmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkijmw Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 9

I had a question re: buttercream on wedding cakes. I have to make a cake for a wedding in new England for October 1. It shouldn't be too warm but I'm worried that since it needs to sit out for a couple of hours I don't want the cake to melt. Any suggestions? Also, do you think a marzipan ribbon on the bottom of the cake would go ok with buttercream?

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 9

I see no problem. I did 100s of wedding cakes, many of which were for outdoor receptions. B;cream usually does not melt unless it is an all butter recipe. I haven't had experience w/that so can't say how it will turn out.
Marzipan on b'cream should also pose no problem.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 9

I only use buttercream and the bakery I worked for only used buttercream for cakes. I decorate with fondant...and yes, a marzipan ribbon would work great with BC if it's anything like fondant...and I believe it is.

Because I use real butter in my BC I always deliver a cold cake...generally about an hour before an event starts. The cake can come to room temp slowly and unless it's outside and extremely hot, it should do fine. I've had cakes at parties stay out for 4 plus hours with no problems or melting...even with the fondant decorations.

nikkijmw Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:43am
post #4 of 9

ok, thanks for the tips girls. Only thing is I usually do use an all butter BC maybe I should use 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening....also, I usually deliver a cold cake but I'm an invited guest to the wedding so the delivery is becoming an issue for me and it's at an untraditional wedding venue (a tavern). What I usually do is deliver the cake and stack it there and then ask the venue to keep chilled until the event starts....i'm so nervous, ugh!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkijmw

ok, thanks for the tips girls. Only thing is I usually do use an all butter BC maybe I should use 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening....also, I usually deliver a cold cake but I'm an invited guest to the wedding so the delivery is becoming an issue for me and it's at an untraditional wedding venue (a tavern). What I usually do is deliver the cake and stack it there and then ask the venue to keep chilled until the event starts....i'm so nervous, ugh!

My buttercream is all butter too and as long as it's inside and I assume air conditioned, you should have no problems.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkijmw

..New England for October

As long as you keep the BC in the fridge up until delivery, it should ok. The ribbon will look nice - are you dusting or painting it with anything?

nikkijmw Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 9

ok, cool -- thanks! I really hope this place has enough room in their fridge for the cake -- I'm going to make sure the bride knows that she needs to tell the venue the cake needs to be refrigerated until right before the event starts. I would normally deliver it while the wedding is taking place but since I'm an invited guest to the wedding that's where I'm running into the uneasiness.

As for dusting/painting the bride is VERY simple. She doesn't like the least bit of glitz but she does want some real flowers which match her bouquets to be placed on top of the cake. I think it'll look really pretty as long as everything goes according to plan =)

by the way, any suggestions on keeping the ribbon in place?

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 9

The venue should be at a nice temp - so leaving it out should not be an issue.

I would put tooth picks under the ribbon and adhere it with royal icing. When you gently push the ribbon on the top of the cake it should hold with no problem.

I am in the Boston area - where are you?

nikkijmw Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 9

ah, good tip! That'll give it some good leverage so it won't droop, right? I'm in the Hartford area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%