Before I Totally Give Up.....

Baking By FACSlady Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 2:22am by shuswapcakes

FACSlady Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 6

How the heck do you keep the cones on ice cream cone cupcakes from getting soft so quickly? I've tried two different cake recipes plus a box mix, but within an hour or so they are no longer crisp. I don't want to serve them like that, so I've abandoned each attempt. Help!

5 replies
Jenniferc03 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 6

How are you baking them now. I haven't made them in years, but the last time I did, I didn't put the cone in the cupcake until halfway thru the baking process. I don't recall them being soft at all?? (It would have been a boxed mix that I used...)

MamaDear Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 6

I had that problem too and so I started using the Liv Hansen/Betty Crocker Method where you put candy in the bottom to weight them down, put a mini cupcake and then a regular one in and then frost them. They aren't exactly the same but they do stand up a little better and you don't have to mess with trying to get them in and out of the oven.

Try this
http://www.howdini.com/howdini-video-7073599.html

I bake without the liners and sometimes I just put two of the small ones down into the cone with dollops of icing between and a bigger one on top rather than the candy.

Happy Caking.

DangerousCupcake Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 6

I really loved this way of doing it, as I did have a few leftovers once and the cones weren't as firm as I'd like, and kids don't want mush. But, does anyone have any good suggestions on how to transport these? I recently did 2 dozen for a garden party and it was awful getting them from kitchen to customer. I also noticed they were getting knocked down on the display tray in her kitchen. They don't fit in the typical cupcake tiers, tried that too. Any ideas?

Jenniferc03 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDear

I had that problem too and so I started using the Liv Hansen/Betty Crocker Method where you put candy in the bottom to weight them down, put a mini cupcake and then a regular one in and then frost them. They aren't exactly the same but they do stand up a little better and you don't have to mess with trying to get them in and out of the oven.

Try this
http://www.howdini.com/howdini-video-7073599.html

I bake without the liners and sometimes I just put two of the small ones down into the cone with dollops of icing between and a bigger one on top rather than the candy.

Happy Caking.

Oh...I love that idea!

shuswapcakes Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:22am
post #6 of 6

What I've done in the past is instead of baking the cupcake inside of the ice cream cone (which always turns out to be one big mess for me!) I bake the cake in a regular cake pan, cool, then once I take it out I break into into a million pieces, kind of mush it all together and then I "stuff" the icecream cone with the cake dough and then ice it! It tastes great too thumbs_up.gif This seems to work out way better and you can control how big you want your ice cream cupcakes to be, depending on how high you stuff them - hope that makes sense! I wish I would have taken pictures, maybe next time! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%