Need Advice!!!dying Fondant Black Or Red

Decorating By brookelashea Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 4:25am by olleharr

brookelashea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookelashea Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 27

I have much trouble with dying my fondant or even buttercream black or red. With the fondant I can never get it to the right color, and with the buttercream, it loses it's consistancy the more color I add. Please Help!!

26 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 27

What kind of food coloring are you using?

cole10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cole10 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 27

I gave up and bought an airbrush machine. The best investment I ever made!

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 27

I've had great success using Americolor!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 27

I am amazed still sometimes how much color it takes to get it to black or nice red sometimes. Even when added more doesn't seem to be doing anything, keep adding for awhile. And be sure to use a gel color to help with the consistency issue, if that's not what you are already using. There's an article out there somewhere about how to get deep colors in your fondant by adding cornstarch (I think). I've never actually tried it, I've always been able to get the colors I wanted without it, (so far) but maybe someone on here knows where you can find that article.

tracy394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy394 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 27

I usually just buy those colours. They are really hard to create.

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 27

Americolor Super Red and Super Black gel colors. they are super strong so you don't use nearly as much coloring so no icky chemical taste either! and let your red bc or fondant sit overnight, the color will deepen!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 27

Ditto on Americolor - I recently switched from Wiltons and I could not be happier. The colours are deeper and you use much less and as SarahL said if you let it sit over night the colour will deepen.

ali06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ali06 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 27

I agree on the americolors. I also usually start off using blue or purple fondant then add black or with red I start of using orange and brown then add red. Add a touch of blue to red fondant to give the red fondant a deeper color. Just a touch though or you will end up with purple. Do let your colors sit for a few hours and they will deepen in color.

brookelashea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookelashea Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 27

I have been using Americolor soft gel paste. It still seems really hard. Does anyone know if using the powdered colors helps any? I would buy the fondant that has already been dyed, but it's not available in my area, and shipping is expensive when I buy online on Global Sugar Art. The shipping costs more than the actual product.

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 27

Have you tried country kitchen sweetart? I don't buy pre-made fondant or frostings but their prices are really reasonable on everything else ...and so is their shipping (along with being extremely quick). Maybe check them out? I get really true reds and black with my americolor "supers" but everyone has their own tricks.... What works for some doesn't always work for others....

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 27

As has been said, Wilton black or red is terrible. You have to use far too much to get the proper colour, plus wilton black tends to turn BC runny and/or grainy.
Americolor is the way to go. Spectrum & Chefmaster are good also, but Americolour is more readily available. One trick I learned a long time ago for a great black buttercream, was to add black color to chocolate buttercream. It works great, and takes half the amount of black you'd use starting with a white BC.

The only drawback of adding black to chocolate of course, is your client not wanting, or liking, a chocolate flavour.
As for fondant, Americolor recommended again, but, buying black and red fondant allready made, is even better!

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 27

I'd recommend Lucks liqua-gel colors in super red and coal black. They have no taste or smell. I've always been able to get a black black and a red red in buttercream, fondant, gumpaste and cake batter. You can buy direct from lucks . com at a wholesale price with no minimum order, if you have a business. Otherwise, you'd have to order through a distributor.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:09pm
post #14 of 27

I also buy the fondant in these colors.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:10pm
post #15 of 27

I simply refuse to use a base color of red or black buttercream on a cake. Adding that much color of any brand makes the icing bitter and gives it a bad consistency. I use Americolor to make small amounts of red or black fondant, but if it's for the base of the cake it's much better to just buy precolored fondant.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:20pm
post #16 of 27

Precolored fondant.

I sometimes have wondered if I could start with candy clay using this method. But I haven't tried it yet. Or I've wondered if I could mix MMF with the other fondant and start with pink already, but yummy pink.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

warchild Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Precolored fondant.

I sometimes have wondered if I could start with candy clay using this method. But I haven't tried it yet. Or I've wondered if I could mix MMF with the other fondant and start with pink already, but yummy pink.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

Interesting... I was waiting for the next step where the whole thing seized up as regular colouring was used, but it didn't.
Hmm, I add a blob of corn syrup and melted chocolate to MMF if I'm making it, as it is..
Thanks for the link imagenthatnj.. I'll have to give it a go when I need a small batch of red, and see what happens.

imagenthatnj Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:10pm
post #18 of 27

Angela uses MMF a lot, if not all the time. She also used to color it with Strawberry Jell-O, to start with a pink base and then she added red.

Of course I've just bought the pre-colored fondant, but I still want to have options for whenever I don't have the pre-colored one. I think I read somewhere here another poster who buys tons of the black candy melts from Wilton around Halloween, I think they have them at the Wilton site all year round now.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1537867

warchild Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:58pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:

Angela uses MMF a lot, if not all the time. She also used to color it with Strawberry Jell-O, to start with a pink base and then she added red.

Of course I've just bought the pre-colored fondant, but I still want to have options for whenever I don't have the pre-colored one. I think I read somewhere here another poster who buys tons of the black candy melts from Wilton around Halloween, I think they have them at the Wilton site all year round now.

I've read about the Strawberry Jello fondant, but couldn't bring myself to trying it. The thought of serving that extra sweeteness on top of the already sweetness, didn't sound apealing, even though it got raves from other's that tried it.

I use my grandchildren as ("hey kids, come try this new cake/icing!") guinea pigs, a lot. icon_biggrin.gif I have 8 grandkids, 5 to to 22 yrs, and not one of them will eat a dessert/cake made with Jello, nor a bowl of Jello on it's own. icon_rolleyes.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:06am
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

Quote:

I've read about the Strawberry Jello fondant, but couldn't bring myself to trying it. The thought of serving that extra sweeteness on top of the already sweetness, didn't sound apealing, even though it got raves from other's that tried it.

I use my grandchildren as ("hey kids, come try this new cake/icing!") guinea pigs, a lot. icon_biggrin.gif I have 8 grandkids, 5 to to 22 yrs, and not one of them will eat a dessert/cake made with Jello, nor a bowl of Jello on it's own. icon_rolleyes.gif

I really thought you were 25 years old or something like that. lol. Maybe because of the name. And now you're talking grandchildren and not only that but a 22-year-old? I can't believe they don't like Jell-O. I love Jell-O.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:14am
post #21 of 27

Good quality Airbrush is worth every penny.

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:18am
post #22 of 27

Love my new airbrush for those hard to get colors!!

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:25am
post #23 of 27

Check out Edna's "coloring gumpaste" tutorial. http://designmeacake.com/id69.html. I always just buy red & black myself but I'm going to start experimenting with dying homemade.

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 1:10am
post #24 of 27

I like to make modeling chocolate in that color I need and then mix 50/50 with white fondant and it colors real nice, and works nice too

imagenthatnj Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 1:27am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetdoescakes

I like to make modeling chocolate in that color I need and then mix 50/50 with white fondant and it colors real nice, and works nice too

thank you! That's what I thought! Going to try that next.

warchild Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:24pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

Quote:

I really thought you were 25 years old or something like that. lol. Maybe because of the name. And now you're talking grandchildren and not only that but a 22-year-old? I can't believe they don't like Jell-O. I love Jell-O.

Oh how I wish! icon_lol.gif

Warchild, comes from my very early childhood. Myself and dear older brother were war children. My mother was what we all know of, or maybe don't know of nowadays, a War Bride.

My Mother was one of many young British women who met and married soldiers from across the pond, during WWII. When the war was over, we left our homeland for my Father's homeland and have been here ever since.

So there you are. A bit of history about me, even if you didn't want to know! icon_biggrin.gif

And yes, I've never understood why my grandchildren do not like Jell-O. icon_confused.gif I love it, especially Berry Blue with whipped cream!

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 4:25am
post #27 of 27

When making MMF I use a powdered food coloring from local cake store. It still takes a lot of black to make black but it doesn't have the bitter taste that the gel colors have. It's pretty easy, I just blend it in with the dry fondant ingredients before I mix in the marshmallow mixture. A lot less kneading that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%