Does Anyone Know How This Was Done?

Decorating By coloradoflower Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 2:29am by LadyDi469

coloradoflower Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 4

After fighting with fondant I have decided to listen to another CC'ers advice and try and make a textured butter cream cake. Something like this, I have an idea of how she got that lovely texture to the buttercream just not sure. So i am wondering if anyone has done this before and how you did it. I have looked online to see if I can find the answer and have come up with zip. Thanks for any help you can give me icon_smile.gif

3 replies
cake_architect Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 4

from the cake's creator:

"The texture was difficult to get just right but I found a small spatula, silicone that is the shape of a spade and it worked wonders!"

usually, the effect is created icing the cake in a thick coat of buttercream then taking a small spatula or using the back of a spoon and swirling the buttercream on the cake until you reach the desired effect. there is no 'proper' way of doing it. hth!

coloradoflower Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 4

Actually yeah it does, it confirms on the way I was thinking I would have to go about doing it. Just wanted to know if there was an actual technical process of doing it. Thanks

LadyDi469 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:29am
post #4 of 4

That's actually how we used to frost cakes before we found out how to smooth them. Just use the back of a spoon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%