Does Anyone Know How This Was Done?

Decorating By coloradoflower Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 2:29am by LadyDi469

coloradoflower  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 4

After fighting with fondant I have decided to listen to another CC'ers advice and try and make a textured butter cream cake. Something like this, I have an idea of how she got that lovely texture to the buttercream just not sure. So i am wondering if anyone has done this before and how you did it. I have looked online to see if I can find the answer and have come up with zip. Thanks for any help you can give me icon_smile.gif
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1083223

3 replies
 cake_architect  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 4

from the cake's creator:

"The texture was difficult to get just right but I found a small spatula, silicone that is the shape of a spade and it worked wonders!"

usually, the effect is created icing the cake in a thick coat of buttercream then taking a small spatula or using the back of a spoon and swirling the buttercream on the cake until you reach the desired effect. there is no 'proper' way of doing it. hth!

coloradoflower  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 4

Actually yeah it does, it confirms on the way I was thinking I would have to go about doing it. Just wanted to know if there was an actual technical process of doing it. Thanks

LadyDi469  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyDi469 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:29am
post #4 of 4

That's actually how we used to frost cakes before we found out how to smooth them. Just use the back of a spoon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%