What Happened? "mushy" Cake After Pick-Up????

Decorating By sweetts99 Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 4:16am by ConfectionsCC

sweetts99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetts99 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all! I need to figure out if this was a fault of mine, or not.

I did a cake not long ago it was the 3-D monster truck in my pictures, the red one. It is all cake with BC filling. I covered it in MMF. The tires are moon pies. Anyway, they wanted pick up for a friday. No problem, I was well into the cake, was almost done, when I got the call to change pick up. They had changed the party day for almost 3 days later than was first talked about. Still, ok.... we worked it out and they wanted to stay with the original pick up time.

Anyway, am taking the long way around here, sorry. Cake looked great, tasted great, however they said that the MMF started to sweat and the cake under it got all mushy. They totally took the blame they said cause they had it in the heat, in the fridge, in the heat, in the fridge.....

I guess my question is, did I do something wrong with this cake? Could I have done something to prevent it from getting mushy? I have never had this happen before. I admit, I am kind of new with the fondant, so I still have more to learn, but this is not the first time I have covered in MMF. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetts99

They totally took the blame they said cause they had it in the heat, in the fridge, in the heat, in the fridge.....

This is cake we're talking about - so the repeated hot/cold/hot conditions did it in.

HTH

CakeFaerieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeFaerieK Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 8

Condenstaion will do it. People need to have more consideration for their designers! 8\\

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 8

I get mushy too after going in and out of the heat and air conditioning...a cake definitely would!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 8

Its food. Think about a sub sandwich, a steak, a tater tot...whatever.
You make it ahead, then take it in and out of the fridge for 3 hot and humid days, and something is going to happen.
Fondant helps cakes stay stable and fresher, but its not without its limitations and it is very susceptible to fridge humidity. I would say it can hold up going in and out of the fridge once, but 3 days of back and forth will make it mushy.
This one just wasn't your fault!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetts99

They totally took the blame they said cause they had it in the heat, in the fridge, in the heat, in the fridge.....

This says it all.

Their fault, not yours.

Rae

sweetts99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetts99 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 4:02am
post #7 of 8

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I feel so much better! I was really starting to wonder if maybe I had done something to cause this. I so do not want to put mushy cake out there!
I am very greatful to all of you for responding! icon_razz.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 4:16am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I get mushy too after going in and out of the heat and air conditioning...a cake definitely would!

thumbs_up.gif hahahaha! yea, i have that problem too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%