Want To Respond Appropriately To A Potential Customer

Business By brenda549 Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 12:08am by brenda549

brenda549 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 10

I had a neighbor contact me about some custom cupcakes for her son's birthday next week. I sent her a quote and did not hear back for several days. Here is her response.

I showed my son these pictures and he was very excited! I am concerned though, $36 for a dozen cupcakes is very expensive!. The are very detailed so I understand a lot of work goes into them. I called ***s in the Forum and they said their rate is $36, but they have a high overhead of expensive rent of their shop. Is that the best price that you can do?

This is what I constructed as my response:

I completely understand the question in price. That is my rate for cupcakes with those types of details, which I do not think ***'s offers. I also do not bake out of my home, therefore I also have overhead for commercial kitchen space rental as well.

If you prefer to go in another direction for his birthday, I completely understand. As I already have orders for next week, please let me know as soon as possible if you would like my services.

No one has come right out and balked at my prices before. I just want to make sure I respond appropriately as to not offend, especially since she is a neighbor.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

9 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 10

I think your response is worded very well.

bakerliz Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 10

Professional and to the point. I like it!

myheartsdesire Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 10

I agree with texas rose. Very well handled. People will only pay you what you are worth if you stick to it. You must believe it is worth it. Great job! And some people will try to haggle the price on anything. icon_wink.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 10

Very Good response..But neighbor or not....I might have just said take it or leave it..You don't have to justify why you charge what you do...

ljchevygirl Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 10

Very good response.

JessiesCreations Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 10

The only thing I would do is add a little sugar at the beginning or end to personalize it. Maybe something like, I'm so glad your son is excited about the cupcakes and I look forward to making them for him icon_smile.gif in regards to the price of cupcakes I can completely understand your...and continue on with what you have. I always start and end with something positive just to lighten the tone.

cakesbycathy Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 10

I think your response was very professional. thumbs_up.gif

lorieleann Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:00am
post #9 of 10

I think that was a perfect response.

brenda549 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:08am
post #10 of 10

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback!

I sent the email and it was well received.

Once again, thanks to all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%