Commercial Kitchen Is Rented

Business By lisascakes Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 6:11am by betty88

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 6

I am moving from home baker to renting a commercial kitchen. How do you tell future customers "where you are located"?

I will be baking, decorating & customer pick ups onsite but I will not have a display area.

5 replies
RussellsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RussellsCakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 6

You tell them exactly what you are doing! Most will appreciate the fact that you are operating in a Health Department approved facility. As for consultations, do them from your home, or meet at a bistro, restaurant or coffee shop.

lisascakes Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Russell

betty88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
betty88 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 6

what are the first steps to take when thinking of renting a commercial kitchen?

lisascakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:47am
post #5 of 6

Hi Betty,

After I had really thought about it, looked at cost of renting a storefront myself, creating a business plan based on the cost of rent of a location I thought would be good. I was just to scared and didn't have $$ to venture out on my own.

I had already talked to the owner of a cupcake location about selling my cookies in her store, so I went and talked to her about that & mentioned that I would be interested in renting her kitchen. We talked about it and it seems like a dream come true to me, at least at this point in time. Once I get more customers then I might venture out on my own.

But think about all the places in your town that have commercial kitchens. In talking to a lady who has a catering company in her house - she had talked to a preschool in the area that was interested in her doing the lunch for the school and then she would be able to use the kitchen for her business. I even pulled up all the health inspectors reports for the commercial kitchen in my area - those that always had issues - I wasn't interested in even talking to them.

Good Luck!!

betty88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
betty88 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 6:11am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for responding icon_smile.gif
I am in the process of trying to find a kitchen to rent in my town

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%