Need Filling Idea For Chocolate Cake Please

Decorating By debbief Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 10:57pm by carmijok

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 17

Im making a grooms cake for my nephews wedding this weekend. When I asked him what flavor, he said surprise me. Since he didnt have a preference, his mom and fiancée voted for chocolate. I baked the Hershey chocolate cake (my favorite icon_smile.gif ). I made two 9x13 - two layers and will put them side by side to make one 13x18. Ive been thinking Ill fill one side with chocolate ganache for the die hard chocolate lovers. Then I thought Id fill the other side with a layer of white chocolate ganache and then raspberry puree over that. I made this a few months ago and really like the flavor combination.

Heres my concern. The bride told me they plan to display the cake on a table next to the wedding cake but maybe not serve it at the reception. They may end up saving the grooms cake for a gift opening party the next day. So Im worried that the raspberry puree wont hold up.

Anyone have any other filling ideas that would hold up? I thought about just white chocolate ganache but that kind of seems too sweet and maybe even a little boring

Thanks everyone for any ideas! icon_smile.gif

16 replies
BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 17

i've really never liked any fruit fillings with choc cake,but i have friends who do. my favorites are peanut butter filling and caramel filling with choc cake.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 17

Bailey's butter cream.....yummmmmm

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 17

A good seedless raspberry jam would work will with white chocolate ganache as a filling and hold up overnight. Bailey's BC is yum! You could also do a caramel filling or a caramel BC, or just a simple vanilla BC. Peanut butter BC. Soo many options...

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 17

When I need raspberry filling that holds up, I make raspberry buttercream (my fave BC with seedless jam mixed in). I know it's nicer to have 2 layers of filling but the combined flavors hold up better.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 17

Caramel/cream cheese has worked well for me and holds up to the heat without spoiling. Mix one 8 oz. block of softened cream cheese, caramel ice cream topping, and some powdered sugar in your mixer. Can make it as still as you want by reducing the amount of caramel you put in. Powdered sugar helps make it stiff also, but you determine the amount according to how sweet you want the filling. icon_rolleyes.gif

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 17

Chocolate bavarian cream is one of my most requested chocolate cake fillings!

debbief Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks everyone. I thought of whipping the raspberry into the white chocolate ganache instead of layering it, kind of like the buttercream idea. I may try that.

BUT, I'm really liking the caramel idea. Maybe adding some pecans. That layered with the chocolate ganache would make a good turtle type filling.

Thanks for the ideas all thumbs_up.gif

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 17

Oooo, nuts sounds like a good addition! Let us know how it turns out!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysouthern

Chocolate bavarian cream is one of my most requested chocolate cake fillings!

Could you share this recipe, it sounds scrumptious!! icon_smile.gif

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 17

Can somebody point me in the direction of Bailey's buttercream. I did a search and didn't have any luck.
Thanks

debbief Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:58pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyHammond

Can somebody point me in the direction of Bailey's buttercream. I did a search and didn't have any luck.
Thanks

I found this one in the recipes

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7159/baileys-irish-buttercream

Someone else who suggested it may have another. I've never made it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 17

You might somehow tell the bride that lots of people like chocolate cake, and if they're not served that at the reception and only 'shown' the cake, they will have some angry and disappointed people there! I never heard of such a thing! Hey, here's a cake...looks good doesn't it? Sorry you can't have any!

debbief Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:24pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

You might somehow tell the bride that lots of people like chocolate cake, and if they're not served that at the reception and only 'shown' the cake, they will have some angry and disappointed people there! I never heard of such a thing! Hey, here's a cake...looks good doesn't it? Sorry you can't have any!

LOL that's a good point. I just assumed since there will be a wedding cake, it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm sure if they run out of wedding cake, the groom's cake will be served. That's the impression I got anyway. And I don't know what flavor(s) the wedding cake will be. Maybe they'll have a tier of chocolate.

So now with that said...I bet some of you are asking the question..."Does the wedding cake vendor know another baker will be providing a Groom's cake? icon_eek.gif " Answer...I have no idea.

carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:27pm
post #15 of 17

The bakery I worked for sometimes just did the groom's cake only. It was no big deal. I did a last minute groom's cake a couple of years ago because the GROOM had said he'd make one...turns out he was desperate because it was turning out pathetic so I did one for him through a friend of mine who knew the groom. I heard later everyone liked it better than the wedding cake! ;D

debbief Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:

The bakery I worked for sometimes just did the groom's cake only. It was no big deal. I did a last minute groom's cake a couple of years ago because the GROOM had said he'd make one...turns out he was desperate because it was turning out pathetic so I did one for him through a friend of mine who knew the groom. I heard later everyone liked it better than the wedding cake! ;D

It actually would never have occurred to me that the wedding cake vendor would care, but I've seen several threads on here where bakers either question whether or not to do it, or just flat out won't do the wedding cake if they know another baker will be providing a cake. They are afraid since they provided the wedding cake, the guests will assume they provided the grooms cake as well. And what if the Groom's cake wasn't any good?

Since we are driving out of state for the wedding (leaving this evening) I made the filling last night. I decided on the caramel and added some chopped pecans. I'll drizzle some chocolate ganache over it as well as ice the cake with it (the ganache that is). That should be good and rich! icon_lol.gif Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone.

carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 10:57pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

Quote:

It actually would never have occurred to me that the wedding cake vendor would care, but I've seen several threads on here where bakers either question whether or not to do it, or just flat out won't do the wedding cake if they know another baker will be providing a cake. They are afraid since they provided the wedding cake, the guests will assume they provided the grooms cake as well. And what if the Groom's cake wasn't any good?

Since we are driving out of state for the wedding (leaving this evening) I made the filling last night. I decided on the caramel and added some chopped pecans. I'll drizzle some chocolate ganache over it as well as ice the cake with it (the ganache that is). That should be good and rich! icon_lol.gif Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone.

That sounds delicious. You'll have to say how it went over. I may have to make that for a birthday cake in August!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%