Question For Those Who Bake From Scratch And Use Mixes...

Decorating By TamiAZ Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 1:21pm by GrandmaG

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:39am
post #151 of 159

Imagenthatnj, I love those cores. Thanks for posting the link. You are right about those dents in the cake. And if you throw the nails in the sink in a bowl and forget about them like I do, they get sort of rusty. I guess that is because they weren't meant to be baked.

Have you tried the Goldtouch cupcake pans? The difference is huge. The only time I don't use Goldtouch is with cookie sheets, but they are still WS. I always use parchment. Last year they redesigned the cookie sheets to have a bottom that allows air to circulate. This was a big improvement.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:51am
post #152 of 159

scp1127, I only have Goldtouch. For everything. I love my cupcake pans. I don't make cookies, so I haven't had that trouble. I am so used to those pans that for other shapes I'm going to buy this extender, use it with the Goldtouch sheet pans and just cut with pastry rings.

http://www.pastrychef.com/SHEETPAN-EXTENDERS_p_1270.html

The only other pans I have are the square multi-size Alan Silverwood and a ball pan from the same company.

scp1127 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:33am
post #153 of 159

Ok imagenthatnj, you are definitely as OCD as I am. So what do you think the material of the extender will do to the cake it touches? The Goldtouch will not be touching it?

My only problem with the Goldtouch is that with each redesign, the weight changes slightly. I like to weigh my pans with batter to make them even. I have to adjust the heavier pans' weight while I'm measuring.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:48am
post #154 of 159

LOL. Yes, I'm OCD. Except I don't have much time to bake and try everything I want to try. My job is crazy.

The extenders are made of fiberglass. I don't know much about the material when used for baking, but I will only use those if I need a bigger cake than 9". That doesn't happen frequently. I guess when I try them, I'll know. I plan on cutting the cakes with cake rings anyway.

I divide the batter too. But I just weighed the mixer bowl and I keep that weight written down somewhere. Then when the batter is mixed, I weigh it so that I know the weight of the batter. I divided that batter by 3. Then I take my first pan, put it on the scale, zero it (tar) and pour in one third of the batter in grams.

Isn't it crazy? The old pans were a lot heavier. That's my 8" ones, I saw the difference and was a little worried, but the new kind seem to be working fine.

scp1127 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:07am
post #155 of 159

I put the three pans in a row, eyeball them with filling, weigh them, and then worry that I got the heavy one out of order. I think it's only about three oz's.

And I too have this rediculous list of "to do" cakes.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 8:10pm
post #156 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

bonnie, it is an unpopular technique, but I do it and my cakes really are more even. And especially if the cakes are in a three inch pan. I find that my cakes are the same color on the sides, tops, and bottom. I can produce a lighter color and softer outside with this method. I figured if it was good for a big cake, why not try to more evenly bake the small cakes?

I use Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch pans and Magic Line pans. The Goldtouch make a huge difference, but they are very expensive and limited in size and shape. My contour pans are Fat Daddio's.

thanks - I'll give the nails and strips a try!

happigolucki35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happigolucki35 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 12:30pm
post #157 of 159

I use a doctored mix in my retail store and people love my cakes and cupcakes. I have tried scratch baking and the cakes are dry. I have also visited other shops in different states across the country and I can tell scratch from doc mix, and every scratch cake is dry, dry , dry. Kudos to those that have found scratch recipes that are not dry. I love my doc. mixes and it's not cheating its giving customers good tasting cakes, thats what it is about.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 12:45pm
post #158 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by happigolucki35

I use a doctored mix in my retail store and people love my cakes and cupcakes. I have tried scratch baking and the cakes are dry. I have also visited other shops in different states across the country and I can tell scratch from doc mix, and every scratch cake is dry, dry , dry. Kudos to those that have found scratch recipes that are not dry. I love my doc. mixes and it's not cheating its giving customers good tasting cakes, thats what it is about.

Well, I just had my opening day at my shop. All the cupcakes were made from scratch. And the word "dry" was never mentioned once. And yep, my customers had good tasting cupcakes. I sold 12 dozen, which is not bad for a silent opening of just peeling off the paper on the windows and putting up the Open sign on a gorgeous 90 degree Saturday in July. I think I'll stick with the scratch.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:21pm
post #159 of 159

Congratulations Linda on your successful opening!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%