Need Help With A Sugar Free Icing/frosting!

Baking By horuswaspretty Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 9:50pm by horuswaspretty

horuswaspretty Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 9

For the last couple of weeks I have been trying out all the recipes that I could find for sugar free icings/frostings but none of them have turned out well. They have either been total disasters or tasted horrible. I was going to try a recipe that had milk powder in it, but the powder has a very high sugar content so isnt really suitable for diabetics. Using sweetner just doesnt give the right taste. Has anyone had any success with a recipe that they wouldnt mind sharing? I am making it for my mums birthday, which is tomorrow so am running out of time icon_sad.gif

8 replies
MamaMarsha Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 9

2 (1 ounce) boxes sugar-free instant pudding mix (any flavor)
1 cup skim milk
3 cups heavy whipping cream

Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Using electric mixer at low speed, mix til pudding is dissolved. Increase speed and whip until it is spreading consistency

horuswaspretty Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 9

Should have said, im in the UK. What would be our equivalent of sugar free pudding mix? And does this recipe set? or stay soft? Thanks for the reply icon_smile.gif

horuswaspretty Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 8:35am
post #4 of 9

anyone have any other suggestions? I need to make this today icon_sad.gif

LittleLinda Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 10:41am
post #5 of 9

I too have been having a hard time with this. I made the one with the milk powder last night and didn't know that there was sugar in the milk powder. It tasted horrible. In my internet search, I found that Pillsbury makes a canned sugar-free frosting. I'm going out to find some (hopefully at my local grocery store). My cake must be done this morning for a customer. I hope I find it to frost the cake; and then I'll just do the decorating with the frosting I made last night. If I don't find it, I'll have to make another frosting.
My concern is that the recipes with sugar-free pudding also call for whipping cream or other things that seem to be need refrigeration. My cake is going to somebody's office and cannot be refrigerated.
Please correct me if I'm wrong about the refrigeration thing.

horuswaspretty Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 11:12am
post #6 of 9

Im not sure if milk powder in the US is different, but over here its very high in sugar. I wish someone here made a ready made frosting, would save me a lot of bother. As far as I know if you use cream then it will need refrigeration. I think I am gonna have to try a cream cheese frosting, cant find a better alternative so I hope it turns out ok.

MamaMarsha Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 9

The whipping cream sets but not to firm. If you put it in the frig before delivery and it stays cool in the office I don't see why it can't stay out for a little while. I've left mine out for little bits of time and it was fine.

LittleLinda Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 9

I did manage to buy the Pillsbury sugar-free frosting. It tastes good, it is a bit granular. The frosting doesn't crust over. I used the lousy frosting that I made to do the colors, and I bought Pillsbury sugar free chocolate frosting to use for outlines and the borders. I did what I had to do, and mine's done and being picked up in two hours!

horuswaspretty Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 9

The Pillsbury frosting sounds good but I cant find anyone who stocks it in the UK or who would ship it here icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%