Alternatives To Candy Melts

Sugar Work By ncsmorris Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 12:50pm by ncsmorris

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 4

Are there alternatives to candy melts? I want to try my hand at cake pops but the candy melts just taste terrible, in my opinion. I'm sure I could use white chocolate but how about regular milk chocolate? I tried to use milk chocolate once in some candy molds, put them in the fridge overnight to make sure they set, but when I tapped them out he next morning, they immediately melted so I'm worried the same thing will happen to the pops. (I did some with white choclate the same day and they worked well so we only had white and pink candies).

Ideas are appreciated!! Thanks!

3 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 4

Any chocolate will work. People use candy melts because a) they are colored and b) it prevents having to temper your chocolate.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 4

If you use real chocolate, it helps to add shortening when you melt it. Takes longer to set that way, but it coats the pops more smoothly and easily.

I don't know why your molded chocolate melted right away, though. I've used milk chocolate and semisweet chocolate in molds and it's always worked just fine.

You could also use butterscotch chips, peanut butter flavored chips, mint-flavored chocolate kisses, etc., if you like those better than white chocolate.

Holly

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 4

Super! Thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%