Cake Freshness

Decorating By marieandtwannette Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 3:41pm by Unlimited

marieandtwannette Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 5

Can anyone give some feedback as to the maximum lenght of time that would be acceptable for an advanced cake delivery? I have a customer that want to pick up a cake on thursday morning for a party that is scheduled on sunday afternoon. Do you think the cake will still be fresh enough? I'm not sure if I want to take the order under these circumstances and risk having a dried out cake with my name in it. Any suggestions?

4 replies
CWR41 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 5

Once iced, it won't dry out (it will usually start to grow mold in about two weeks without refrigeration). Cake tastes better after 3-5 days--more moist as the flavors meld.

TexasSugar Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 5

Personally I wouldn't do it. But I don't like to hand off a cake that is more than 4 days old, and I start counting from the day it is baked.

bakingpw Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 5

If the customer picks it up Thursday a.m., you'd have to bake and fill, decorate it all on Wednesday, or maybe even Tuesday? In my opinion, I wouldn't do it because the guests won't know that the customer picked it up early - and it wouldn't be at it's "freshest". Not to mention, you don't know how the customer will store it in her home, what flavors from the refrigerator it might pick up, etc.

My intention is to always provide the freshest product. When people talk, you want the conversation to be: "OMG, that was the freshest, moistest most delicious cake I ever had." Every cake we make is a reflection of us and our business. JMHO

Unlimited Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 5

If you make it on Wednesday, that's still only four days before it's served. Cakes last a lot longer than four or five days. We've picked on uncovered leftover cake for more than a week after carving off the dried out exposed slice. Your cake won't be dry or moldy after several days. The bakery case cakes that are reduced in price for quick sale aren't just day old productthey're many days older than that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%