Should I Take Another Bakers Client (Old Hs Friend)?

Decorating By fedra Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 12:52am by Mac

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:40pm
post #31 of 40

If someone gets $8.00, she has competitors. Rural bakers are not getting $8.00.They are usually forced to charge closer to grocery store prices. If she gets $8.00 in a small area with no competitors, she is in an affluent area. But do not think that people with larger incomes spend their money foolishly. The value must still be there. The OP has obviously just completed her Wilton courses. No offense, we have all started somewhere. The bride hears that she has taken the classes and may be over budget. So is it ok to take the business from the original vendor because it is the action of the bride? That's like buying stolen goods, but, that's ok because you didn't do the stealing. The chain of events is still morally wrong even if it is once-removed from the OP. She's going to do what she wants regardless of what we post either way. We all have our own moral compass.

If you had to ask, you already know the answer. How you act on it is up to you. But if you proceed, this will end badly for all three of you. And it will have a negative effect on the wedding day.

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:53pm
post #32 of 40

Thanks for all your advice. I knew what to do since the beginning but I just wanted some reassurance. I did put myself in the other persons shoes and could not live with knowingly taking someone else's livelihood. I called my friend and told her that I would of loved to make her cake if she had asked me a while back and that I would feel extremely akward facing the other baker at the birthday party. She wasn't thrilled with it but accepted it. I have a feeling that she wanted a free cake as others have mentioned. I had not mentioned to her that I make cakes (free to family) because there was no cottage food law in Texas yet and I was too scared to put that out there. She saw some of the cakes I've made for family on facebook. I did ask her why she ended up going with that baker if she thought she was so expensive and her answer was that she was basically the only baker in her area (15 miles east of Longview Texas). The cake is 3 tiered all buttercream with strawberry filling and Swiss dots. I don't know the quality of the bakers work but assume that it is good if she is able to charge $8/serving. Thanks for all your help!
Fedra

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:01pm
post #33 of 40

I would put myself in the decorators spot, not only will she loose the money, chance to get more business, she has been stabbed in the back by the bride and an old friend. There would not be ample time to get another booking for that weekend and she did nothing wrong.

Your best friend just has buyers remorse and looks like she might be using you to get a free/inexpensive cake.

Another thing is unless you plan on traveling with a finished cake, would you have all of your supplies to make and decorate the cake on site. Seems like she is asking you to go far and above most friendships. Sure you would be flattered to do her cake, but under normal circumstances what would your wedding gift have cost you?

Just tell her that you appreciate her thinking of you and you decline on moral grounds that you will not take away work from another baker at this late a date.
icon_surprised.gif

Sorry, you posted just before I did. Glad you made a sensible decision.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:58pm
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedra

Thanks for all your advice. I knew what to do since the beginning but I just wanted some reassurance. I did put myself in the other persons shoes and could not live with knowingly taking someone else's livelihood. I called my friend and told her that I would of loved to make her cake if she had asked me a while back and that I would feel extremely akward facing the other baker at the birthday party. She wasn't thrilled with it but accepted it. I have a feeling that she wanted a free cake as others have mentioned. I had not mentioned to her that I make cakes (free to family) because there was no cottage food law in Texas yet and I was too scared to put that out there. She saw some of the cakes I've made for family on facebook. I did ask her why she ended up going with that baker if she thought she was so expensive and her answer was that she was basically the only baker in her area (15 miles east of Longview Texas). The cake is 3 tiered all buttercream with strawberry filling and Swiss dots. I don't know the quality of the bakers work but assume that it is good if she is able to charge $8/serving. Thanks for all your help!
Fedra

Good for you. You made the right decision. Bad deeds ONLY yield bad results. I can't believe how many people are readily willing to do something unethical supposedly in the name of friendship. That is NOT how you honor your friendships. Again, good for you. Now you can go to all of your parties while you're there and hold your head high.

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

If someone gets $8.00, she has competitors.

In my area, more often than not, that is not the case, which may be why that behavior irks me more than others, and I would accomodate my friend in this situation. I plainly disagree that she should feel immoral for helping a friend, based on the fact that her friend's decision would be uncouth. She wouldn't be stealing anything, as she didn't go looking for the opportunity. Clearly my opinion is more consumer (family/friend) driven while yours is more vendor (fellow baker) driven, which I can understand. What I do agree on, is that she should do whatever feels right to her, and it seems as though she has. thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:08pm
post #36 of 40

You did the right thing in declining the offer to bake the cake. I know she is your friend, but she no doubt was hoping to not spend that much money on a cake. Since you will be at the reception you need to report back on the cake! I'd be interested to hear how 'simple' it was and if it was delicious or just ok.

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:41pm
post #37 of 40

Fedra- maybe you can make a grooms cake for her as a gift? then everyone is happy. the bride gets a cake from her best friend and the baker is not out any money. icon_smile.gif

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:42pm
post #38 of 40

If she really is your "best friend" I'm surprised she had to learn through acquaintances that you had a knack for baking.... Obviously you know the situation better than us, but it really does sound like the bride had buyer's remorse and is trying to cut expenses. If she originally had thought $8/serving was too high, she should've called around to other areas. I'm sure she could've found someone with a lower price, even if she had to pay extra for delivery... Cakes aren't any different than dresses, venues, food etc... for the big day. There is usually a wide variety of price points to fit any budget (or lack of), you just have to do a little work to find what you need.

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:03pm
post #39 of 40

I understand that to some my "best friend" not knowing I make cakes seems a bit odd but I'm not the type of person that feels the need to share absolutely every detail of my life with my BFF. Keep in my that she also lives 8 hrs away (she moved 2 yrs ago in persuit of the groom). Like I said earlier, I am NOT a licensed "cake lady" so I really do not like to advertise myself as so. With that being said, I also do not consider myself an expert cake decorator but I do believe that I have good decorating abilities (or potential atleast). I have not made a wedding cake before, however I have made cakes as big and semi-challenging as a wedding cake. Yes, I did just take my Wilton course. I wanted to see if this was something I like to do and it is. The practice cakes I have made for family keep improving and improving which encourages me to further pursue the art of cake decorating.
Fedra

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:52am
post #40 of 40

15 miles east of Longview....I live in Longview and most custom designers here charge around $5.00 per serving to $5.50 per serving IF it is fondant. So this must be close to Marshall??? Or Beckville???

Several of the Longview/East Texas designers can be found online....some have delivery charges that are as much as $1.00 per mile both ways. Some have flat fees as I do. Sounds like your friend really didn't do her homework as far as checking out all the designers in this area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%