Her Newbie Question: Tiers, Layers, And Size....

Decorating By MsInterpret Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 9:26pm by CWR41

MsInterpret Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:32am
post #1 of 17

Okay please allow me one more annoying newbie question:

I am making a cake like the "I am baker" / rosette cake but I need to make it for about 40 people. Would prefer healthy servings vs. tiny.

Now, I have made cakes all my life but never more than a standard 2 layer. Because I have never had to make cake for more than 5 or 6 people! I think I might have done a 3 layer once but I don't remember for sure. I do remember a layer cake "sliding" once but I think that was a summer/heat situation. icon_wink.gif

I am trying to decide how to get the best aesthetics, have enough cake, while hopefully not having it be TOO difficult, and minimize the risk for disaster. icon_wink.gif

The GOOD news is I won't need to transport it. I'll be making it on-site.

So I am wondering, do I make it round? Square? Layers (even) or tiers (graduated)? Is there any advantage to one over the other?

Thanks again..

16 replies
all4cake Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:02am
post #2 of 17

A 2 layer 12" round will give you plenty of generous servings.

one big advantage of one , 2 layer tier is there'd be no need for doweling/supports and stacking.

MsInterpret Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:08am
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

A 2 layer 12" round will give you plenty of generous servings.

one big advantage of one , 2 layer tier is there'd be no need for doweling/supports and stacking.

That is kind of what I was thinking. In this case, simpler=better as long as it's pretty!

Narie Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:22am
post #4 of 17

If you bake a 12 inch, round use a heating core or a couple flower nails so that your cake cooks evenly.

MsInterpret Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:57am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

If you bake a 12 inch, round use a heating core or a couple flower nails so that your cake cooks evenly.

Hmm. what about a 3 layer 9" round to avoid that? Would I need dowels for that (again, no transport)?

And I just realized my title is messed up for this post, lol. It should read "Another newbie question", not "her". icon_wink.gif

CWR41 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:17am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsInterpret

Hmm. what about a 3 layer 9" round to avoid that? Would I need dowels for that (again, no transport)?

The problem with a triple layer cake is that it won't necessarily serve more... just taller servings that won't fit on a dessert plate unless you're using a board in the middle at 3 inches and serving only 3" tall slices.

Basic rule is to use supports for every 4" of cake height.

Have you seen the industry standard Wilton chart?:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

The portions are generous 8 cu. in. servings.

Narie Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 17

http://cakecentral.com/articles/651/cake-baking-flower-nail-method-tutorial This is the tutorial on using a flower nail. Easy peasy!

Narie Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 17

duplicate post

MsInterpret Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

http://cakecentral.com/articles/651/cake-baking-flower-nail-method-tutorial This is the tutorial on using a flower nail. Easy peasy!

That looks easy. Easier than a heating core for some reason. Then I could go with the 12" layered.

lauriekailee Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:02am
post #10 of 17

[quote="CWR41"]

Quote:

Have you seen the industry standard Wilton chart?:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

The portions are generous 8 cu. in. servings.

Found what I was looking for...thanks guys!

MsInterpret Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 17

Hi again everyone, I have a related question after my original one, hope it is okay to put it here.

So let's say I will make a 2 layer 12" round to yield enough cake for 40 people.

The recipe I am following says it will make enough cake for one 11.8" round (actually it is given in cm and I converted and got this) or two 8.3" rounds. Well I have never heard of pans that size so based on a two layer 12" round if I simply double that recipe will I have enough batter?

Similarly can I just double the frosting recipe given for that same cake?

And finally, will two 12" round pans fit in the oven at the same time (standard size oven)? Is it okay to put one on one rack and one on another? Just wondering if I should bother with buying 2 pans or just make one layer at a time...

CWR41 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:

Well I have never heard of pans that size so based on a two layer 12" round if I simply double that recipe will I have enough batter?

Yes. (read the batter amount chart linked above.)

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

And finally, will two 12" round pans fit in the oven at the same time (standard size oven)?

Don't know... grab a tape measure and measure the inside of your oven (or you can place two 12" cardboard circles inside to check).

Quote:

Is it okay to put one on one rack and one on another?

I wouldn't. Is it gas or electric?

MsInterpret Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 8:47pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

Well I have never heard of pans that size so based on a two layer 12" round if I simply double that recipe will I have enough batter?

Yes. (read the batter amount chart linked above.)

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

And finally, will two 12" round pans fit in the oven at the same time (standard size oven)?

Don't know... grab a tape measure and measure the inside of your oven (or you can place two 12" cardboard circles inside to check).

Quote:

Is it okay to put one on one rack and one on another?

I wouldn't. Is it gas or electric?

It's electric. I don't mind making one layer then the other, really, because I have all day to make the cake (making it the day before). I have to buy a pan or pans regardless since the only thing I have currently are 8" rounds. I am making the cake at a friends house since that's where the event is taking place and then I won't have to transport it. Plus, my oven is ancient and wonky, hers is fancy and modern. And her kitchen is bigger!

And thanks on the recipe questions. icon_wink.gif

MsInterpret Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 8:53pm
post #14 of 17

Oh and one more thing (of course)... the charts say 12" round but when I look at 12" round pans to purchase they come in 2" deep, 3" deep, 4" deep! What's the standard? What should I buy with all the previous factors considered?

CWR41 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 9:02pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:

Oh and one more thing (of course)... the charts say 12" round but when I look at 12" round pans to purchase they come in 2" deep, 3" deep, 4" deep! What's the standard? What should I buy with all the previous factors considered?

Two inch tall is standard. (from the Wilton link above: "Batter amounts for the 2 in. cakes on the chart are for pans 2/3 full of batter.")

MsInterpret Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

Two inch tall is standard. (from the Wilton link above: "Batter amounts for the 2 in. cakes on the chart are for pans 2/3 full of batter.")

Apparently I can't read. Thank you! I have the wrong brain for this. I love baking, and I HATE math. lol.

CWR41 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 9:26pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:

I HATE math. lol.

Me too icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%