Fondant Suggestion

Decorating By go_tamar Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 12:09pm by costumeczar

go_tamar Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
How do you get a smooth edge at the bottom. Every time I smooth my fondant over the cake the very last part gets bunched up at the base of the cake. I always hide it with some decoration but would like to design a cake that doesn't require something to hide my mistake. I have only used Wilton fondant with corn starch. I tried it with Crisco but was getting tears in my fondant. Is it my technique or should I try a different brand of fondant?
Thanks,
Tamar

5 replies
costumeczar Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 6

Wilton fondant stinks, but are you putting it on over cold buttercream or room temp buttercream? A lot of problems with fondant can be traced back to what it's going over and how thick you're putting it on.

go_tamar Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Wilton fondant stinks, but are you putting it on over cold buttercream or room temp buttercream? A lot of problems with fondant can be traced back to what it's going over and how thick you're putting it on.

I have tried both room temp and also just out of the fridge and yes also over buttercream. Do you like a different brand of fondant.
THX!

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:13am
post #4 of 6

Wilton fondant is excellent for covering. It's super easy to work with. It's not a favorite among decorators for taste.

A good way to get the workability of the Wilton and a better taste is to mix 1/3 Wilton with 2/3 of another fondant--Satin Ice, FondX, Duff's, Fondarific, etc.

Rae

Lcubed82 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:03am
post #5 of 6

Have you tried elevating your cake on a smaller base after getting the top edges and sides adhered? When you get to the bottom, let the fondant hang down, and trim. This should help eliminate bunchy bottom edges.

costumeczar Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_tamar

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I have tried both room temp and also just out of the fridge and yes also over buttercream. Do you like a different brand of fondant.
THX!

I make my own, so I'm not the best source for which brand is good in a comparison.

When you put it on the cake are you smoothing it out the right way? Start with a cold cake that has a thin layer of buttercream or ganache on it. Put the fondant on it and start at the top of the cake, smooth out the top, then smooth the sides from the top down toward the edge of the bottom. You might just not be smoothing the sides well enough, so that when it settles the fondant has time to sag a little with the extra that you didn't smooth out. Use a sharp knife to cut the bottom edge off level with the cake board.

I'm thinking that maybe your buttercream is too thick under it, so that when the icing softens up the fondant sags some and droops at the botttom??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%