Omg Omg Omg Satin Ice In The Uk!!!

Decorating By nanefy Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 1:07am by satinice

nanefy Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 19

ok ok ok - I need to calm down!!! I've just read on the satin ice facebook page that they are working with a distributor in the UK and it will be available within the month!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I literally cannot wait!!!!!!!!!

That is all folks icon_smile.gif

18 replies
Davwattie Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 19

Looking forward to trying it, the new recipe regalice is absolute rubbish!

I'd rather use covapaste anyday icon_biggrin.gif

nanefy Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 19

Oh I've been waiting for this day for a LONG time!!

regalice is utterly the worst product to use. I actually use a brand called Massa Ticino which is FANTASTIC, however I can only get it in white, so to be able to have Satin Ice - especially with their awesome colours (not to mention the chocolate one) - is literally making giddy lol.

I know it sounds lame that I am uber excited, but I'm seriously tired with the lack of choice over here!!

idontknow Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

Oh I've been waiting for this day for a LONG time!!

regalice is utterly the worst product to use. I actually use a brand called Massa Ticino which is FANTASTIC, however I can only get it in white, so to be able to have - especially with their awesome colours (not to mention the chocolate one) - is literally making giddy lol.

I know it sounds lame that I am uber excited, but I'm seriously tired with the lack of choice over here!!

where do you get massa, ive been meaning to try it but haven't seen it anywhere in the uk?

nanefy Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow

where do you get massa, ive been meaning to try it but haven't seen it anywhere in the uk?

I buy it from Town & Country Fine Foods. They are brilliant. It is pricey at nearly £50 for 7kg, but I roll it super thin so don't use that much, plus that cost gets passed onto the customer anyway. It's not Massa Grischuna, which people have spoken about on here, it's a different company (it's made by Callebaut).

Even when we get the Satin Ice, I'll probably still use my Ticino for most things, but will use Satin Ice for dark colours and also the chocolate fondant.

Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:27am
post #6 of 19

Well I have heard mixed reviews about Satin ice so I wouldn't get that excited..Some say it is hard to work with,Dries out quick and tears easily.I bought red and black when I wanted to make my son's Cars Lightning McQueen cake and never again..It was so dry and crumbly after a few minutes rolling it out.cracked alot....wouldn't buy it again!! JMO

nanefy Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:56am
post #7 of 19

yeah I did hear that, but I have to say it's not dampening my spirits any!!! lol. I just think if it's a bad batch, it will be getting sent right back to the distributor. I also think that if Ron Ben Israel uses it exclusively then it must be OK icon_smile.gif If it turns out it's rubbish then I'll just give it a miss but we'll see how it goes - I'm still uber excited though!! icon_smile.gif

labmom Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:39am
post #8 of 19

satin is is awsome, I am lucky here in the states to have many choices of fondant. I have found satin ice to be the most easy to work with no matter what I am doing with it. And the colors available are awsome.
I have never had it dry out quickly, and if it does get hard I just stick it in the microwave for a few seconds. (not too long!!). It will be soft and plyable.

I have stored it in plastic for months opened it and its been fine.. and only once was it hard when I purchased it, but it kneaded out quickly after I warmed it up.

I haven't used there chocolate yet (i have i but haven't used it) I have purchased choco pan most of the time if I can't get satin ice.

but I love satin ice I hope you do too.

teresamariegross Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:14am
post #9 of 19

I make my own but when I have a lot of cakes to do and don't have the energy I use Satin Ice. I use white and color it with gel colors and it works great. I ordered red once and it was great too. I keep it in the bag in the bucket it comes in and it stays well. No problems on my end.

jennifercullen Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:54am
post #10 of 19

I would quote people on this but I don't know how to do it lol.

This post also really excites me so thanks for sharing or I would never have known to look for it lol. I can get regalice, I find the white ok, especially as I used one of those cheap supermarket boxes for a while to practice! But if I could find satin ice I would definitely give it a go! I hope its going to be easily accessible round here though. I don't think its sad that anyone is excited about it! The choice over here is pretty dismal!

Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:38am
post #11 of 19

Im really surprised to read the comments and regalice, ive always used it and never had a problem with it! mines always pleasant to work with, soft and pliable, but not so soft i cant move it and few problems with drying out now that ive gotten used to working with fondant :/

MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:52am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercullen

The choice over here is pretty dismal!

It's really not. Try living in Holland where you have the choice of Pettinice (blergh), or a fondant that the supply companies buy in and then rebrand as their own (don't know who it comes from), that is so revolting in taste I can't begin to describe it, plus it's hard like plastic and difficult to roll out. In the UK you at least have the choice of:

Regalice
Covapaste
PME
Sweet Success
Bako
M&B
Shepcote

and maybe even other I'm unaware of! I import all my sugarpaste from the UK and I won't be giving Satin Ice a try as I know several really good decorators who say it is a load of cr*p since they recently changed the recipe.

Sam_paggers Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 9:21am
post #13 of 19

ooo am excited to try it! I am reglice girl normally and never had a problem icon_smile.gif

nanefy Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:35pm
post #14 of 19

lol seems like we've got two camps here! lol

Mikeroweshunny: You should be able to get Massa Ticino where you are, it's Callebaut product made under thier pseudo company Massa - if you can get it you should try it, it's fantastic.

The reason I HATE regal ice is because I now use Massa Ticino. Massa Ticino is just awesome. It doesn't stretch, I don't get elephant skin, it doesn't tear, it's firm but pliable etc etc etc. So when you go from that back to regalice, you realise just how bad regalice really is.

I don't know about all the rest of the UK cake decorators out there, but I roll my fondant about 3mm thick, sometimes 2mm if I can get away with it and for me it's simply not possible with regalice. I personally hate thick layers of fondant on cakes and my customers have really appreciated the thin layer, because round my parts EVERYBODY has thick fondant on wedding/birthday cakes.

I love the Satin Ice video with RBI covering his cake (I think I've watched it about 15 times lol) and it looks like Satic Ice is in the same calibre as Ticino, with the added benefits that it has an amazing colour range, you can buy it in bulk and they also sell reasonably priced pre made gumpaste!!

Anyway as soon as it arrives here you can be sure that I'll be first in line to buy it - in fact if I can preorder it before it even hits land I will lol! Then I'll be sure to let everyone know what I think.

idontknow Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:30pm
post #15 of 19

Ouch - £50 for 7 kg that's £7.15 per kg - that's twice as much as Regal ice and more than 3 times their covering paste. So I would expect it to be amazing to work with icon_biggrin.gif I might give it a whirl because rolling out fondant is the worst part for me - maybe i need a different fondant and as you say the cost is passed on to the client.

idontknow Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:31pm
post #16 of 19

Ouch - £50 for 7 kg that's £7.15 per kg - that's twice as much as Regal ice and more than 3 times their covering paste. So I would expect it to be amazing to work with icon_biggrin.gif I might give it a whirl because rolling out fondant is the worst part for me - maybe i need a different fondant and as you say the cost is passed on to the client.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

Mikeroweshunny: You should be able to get Massa Ticino where you are, it's Callebaut product made under thier pseudo company Massa - if you can get it you should try it, it's fantastic.

I google searched and there is one company I can get Massa from - but paying 10 per kg for fondant makes me cringe! However, seeing as Regalice is about to go up 20-50%, it might work out similar.

When my wedding folks pay their final invoice this week, I may get some and try it out. I can get Massa Ticino white and Massa Ticino Tropical - do you know the difference?

cakeypig Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 1:01pm
post #18 of 19

i've just started out cake sculpting and have been using the standard block icing from the supermarket and regalice, after reading various things on the internet, im a bit confused as to what i should use for the main parts of a cake, i wanted fondarific or satin ice, but can't find them available in the uk (unless i want to pay shipping charges from the U.S/canada) so could someone point me in the right direction to get the right type of icing i should be using and where from? (uk only please)

thanks loads!!!

satinice Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 1:07am
post #19 of 19

Hello,

We have been slightly delayed in getting our Satin Ice products into the UK as we wait on approval from UK officials. We are hoping this is very soon! For those new to using our products, please visit our website www.satinfinefoods.com for tips, inspiration and video tutorials. Join our email list or Like us on Facebook to receive an announcement when Satin Ice is accepted into your market. In the meantime, you can order Satin Ice from the following European suppliers:

Cake Supplies NL (Netherlands)
www.cakesupplies.nl
(you can enter this URL into Google, search and then select "translate" for an English version of the site)

Sugar Plum Cake Shop (France)
www.sugarplumcakeshop.com/en/

Pass this information on to others in the UK who are waiting for Satin Ice. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%