Christening Cake

Decorating By evans000 Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 7:12pm by evans000

evans000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evans000 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 5

Hello guys i was wondering if you had any ideas to help me along with a christening cake.

My friend would like a 2 tier pale blue cake (9" & 12"). Both cakes will be pale blue, she would like the cake covering in stars.

Any ideas what i can use around the bottom of each cake, she mentioned balls, do you think they will look okay with stars on the cake?

Ribbon is an option but i dont think she was over fussed on that idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh sorry one more thing she wants a pic of her son on icing on the top tier but it will be flat and i dont think will balance the cake out. Any ideas how to stand it up, as its on icing its flimsy so will need solid but light support then i will have to make some sort of support to stand it up, any ideas?

Thanks Helen

4 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 5

You could do a fondant rope border at the bottom of each tier.

http://video.about.com/kidsparties/Fondant-Cake-Decorating.htm

I'd make each strand of your rope a bit thinner than she does in the video, but you can see the idea. You could use the blue of your fondant for one strand and the color of your stars as a second color. If your stars are white you could combine the blue and white to make a paler blue for your third color. That way the rope border wouldn't compete with the other decoration on the cake.

evans000 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 5

Great idea, thanks.

Any ideas about the hard backing for the icing pic i have and how to stand it up?

helen x

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 5

Are you talking about a frozen buttercream transfer, or an edible image? I don't know about the buttercream transfer, but if its an edible image, could you not attach the photo to a gumpaste plaque and put it on a stand something like this (http://www.indiana9fossils.com/Supplies/Stands/Stand%2017.jpg)?

evans000 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 5

Its an edible image, yes i'll do a gumpaste backing. I'll have a look in my local cake shop for stands as i dont really have time to order off the internet, knowing my luck it wouldnt turn up in time.

Thanks x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%