1. If youre a beginner, choose a simple design that has a good chance of turning out well.
2. Make sure you have all ingredients before you start.
3. If youre using a kit, familiarise yourself with the instructions before you begin.
4. Give yourself plenty of time to complete your project.
5. Try to distance yourself from all distractions.
6. If its your first time decorating a cake, dont make it for a special occasion in case it doesnt turn out. Do a practice run first. Also make a note of the time you start and finish, for future reference.
7. Get inspired for cake decorating made easy! Look at everything around you with fresh eyes. You never know, it might come in handy when youre thinking up new design ideas.
8. Decide whether to bake the cake from scratch or buy it and just do the decoration.
9. Dont be impatient and rush the process. It takes time to learn a new skill. If you rush to finish it, your design may look messy and unfinished and not the work of art you imagined.
10. Enjoy your masterpiece!
Excellent tips every one!!!!
I also have an available list of people who are willing to eat my "mistake" cakes so I can practice. They don't mind "less than perfect" cakes, cupcakes.