For Those Who Make Shooters Or Push Pops

Baking By tavyheather Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 12:07am by MariaK38

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 3:50am
post #1 of 27

I'm wondering who mostly buys them...I'm thinking of selling them at the farmers market and wondering of I should use a more kid-friendly buttercream (vs. IMBC). I would assume since it's such a fun item that mostly kids are eating them.

How much are you selling them for? I would think slightly more than CC's...yes I will calculate my overhead blah blah blah but just curious.

And lastly, any special pointers if I'm to attempt this? I've heard of cutting the circles with the lid, so anything else...freezing them before putting them in maybe? etc...

thanks!

26 replies
dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 27

Good question. I am looking forward to the answers. Where did you order your containers from? Looking for the best prices.

tavyheather Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 27

thanks!

I HAVENT YET...i WANT TO GET A SMALL ORDER oops sorry caps on...I'm debating on if I even want to do it, so if anything I'm buying a twelve pack off etsy or amazon for a higher price...but I can't justify spending $50 on them right now.

Anyone else want to share where the best prices are? I have heard a few options but maybe you all can reiterate.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 27

I heard you could buy 50 for $49 Not sure where, but I will try to find it.

tavyheather Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 27

pretty sure u can buy 100 for $50...

Cargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargal Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 27

I saw a website that said Culinary Direct was the cheapest place to buy them - $48.95 / 100. I don't know how much shipping is. Here's the link
http://culinarydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26213_26223&products_id=4211

JessiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessiesCreations Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 27

I did a little research on this since I've never heard of them before. I found that the going rate is between $2.50-$3.50. I attend farmers market frequently and I would probably pay $2.50 each for them since I have 2 kids... You could sell them in doubles like 2 for $5. I love seeing sweets at the farmers market and I have been thinking about starting a cupcake stand myself. I know firsthand that when you drag little kids with you to the farmers market you can make it exciting for them by giving them something sweet to try. Check out this thread to get a little more information:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7132254&sid=e51fd5a1b1d9048d8371c666bf39c1dc

tavyheather Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiesCreations

I did a little research on this since I've never heard of them before. I found that the going rate is between $2.50-$3.50. I attend farmers market frequently and I would probably pay $2.50 each for them since I have 2 kids... You could sell them in doubles like 2 for $5. I love seeing sweets at the farmers market and I have been thinking about starting a cupcake stand myself. I know firsthand that when you drag little kids with you to the farmers market you can make it exciting for them by giving them something sweet to try. Check out this thread to get a little more information:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7132254&sid=e51fd5a1b1d9048d8371c666bf39c1dc

and where are you so I can judge your pricing based on location? icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 27

wait, is your research based on varied locations?

I'm confused, don't these have more in them than cc's? I would think you would charge more if they did...maybe I'm wrong and they don't...

tavyheather Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 27

I'm thinking more like $4 each or 3 for $10. I'm in San Diego here though where cc's are $3+ each at farmers markets.

JessiesCreations Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:07am
post #11 of 27

You are correct, the location makes a huge difference in pricing. I live in KY now but have lived all over. For your area I would say $4 is a fair price especially since CC's are going for $3. Here, I can buy a good cupcake for $1.50-2.00 at a farmers market.

JessiesCreations Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:08am
post #12 of 27

So I would say based on your market, this product should cost around $1-1.50 more than cupcakes in your area.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:09am
post #13 of 27

I charge $3 and I hate them. Cupcakes ($2.75) are way easier.

tavyheather Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:29am
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I charge $3 and I hate them. Cupcakes ($2.75) are way easier.

lol I know Leah, I've seen u mention it numerous times...your disdain is apparent icon_wink.gif but WHY do u hate them? are they too time consuming, too many steps? if you hate them so much why do u sell them? do they sell THAT well???

CakinKimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakinKimi Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:30am
post #15 of 27

Ok, so WHAT exactly are push pops?

CakinKimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakinKimi Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:46am
post #17 of 27
Quote:

Aw those are cute. I have been watching this thread for a couple days to see if anyone posted a pic or anything, but my curiosity got the best of me tonight icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:53am
post #18 of 27

glad u asked icon_smile.gif

They were started by a bakery in OH? somewhere in the midwest. I'm predicting they will be the new big thing! esp. at farmers markets since they are fully enclosed and can be taken home and eaten...

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:07am
post #19 of 27

The link to the culinary direct page says "Kit of 100 pieces includes lids, tubes, bases and sticks." So does that mean it does not make 100 push pops only 25 for $50?

addietx Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:09am
post #20 of 27

a kit of 100 pieces? Is that like a 4 piece pot set is 2 pots and 2 lids?

addietx Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:14am
post #21 of 27

mrsprinkles has a copyright on the name cakeshooter(s) so if you decide to market your version he asks not to call them such

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7149868-.html#7149868

tavyheather Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:14am
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by addietx

The link to the culinary direct page says "Kit of 100 pieces includes lids, tubes, bases and sticks." So does that mean it does not make 100 push pops only 25 for $50?

pretty sure it's still 100 for $48, I've heard the going rate is 50 cents per

tavyheather Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:44am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by addietx

mrsprinkles has a copyright on the name cakeshooter(s) so if you decide to market your version he asks not to call them such

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7149868-.html#7149868

yeah yeah I know. I knew this would come up sooner or later. I refer to them as shooter b/c that the common name for them. I will be calling them cake push pops or something similar b/c I think the shooters name sounds too mature, like an alcoholic drink. Wasn't going to use it anyway but thanks for the reminder.

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:06am
post #24 of 27

I got mine from Culinary Direct a few weeks ago - you get enough to make 100 tubes. Since I am just in the process of renting a commercial kitchen I have not had a chance to sell any.

tavyheather Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:10am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisascakes

I got mine from Culinary Direct a few weeks ago - you get enough to make 100 tubes. Since I am just in the process of renting a commercial kitchen I have not had a chance to sell any.

me, too! let me know how it goes when it does icon_wink.gif

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:35am
post #26 of 27

This is great info I look forward to learning more .

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:07am
post #27 of 27

I love making mine, but I may have to give it up for a while for medical reasons - just when I'm getting this "off the ground!"
I bake a larger sheet cake and cut out the circles with a 1 3/4" cookie cutter. The top will also work, but I find they stick less frequently to the cookie cutter. I use indydebi's bc recipe as my base and I also use toppings (oreos, colored sugar, sprinkles, etc.). I sell them for $2.50 each. Pictures of mine are here...

http://www.pushpopcakes.com/

I use the extra cake to make cake pops, so no wasted cake!

Good luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%