Crumbling Grainy Blue Bkue Satin Ice

Decorating By MaurorLess67 Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 1:51am by labmom

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 3:33am
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys-

Well I had plans on making a 4th of July/Birthday cake for a bbq today- I ordered the blue Satin Ice from Global- it was crumbling and grainy right out of the package--- has anyone else experienced this??

I added a lot of glycerin to try and help- it made it barely workable- I was going to call them on Tuesday- I was so frustrated and disappointed- I hope that Global or Satin Ice replaces it or refunds me-

Mo

4 replies
angelcakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes11 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:25am
post #2 of 5

Wow funny you say that!! I just did a cake , I bought 2 blue satin ice fondant tubs I had to add color to get it a darker blue when I opened one of the tubs it was ok but the second was dry and very crumbly!! I did put it on the cake and there is alot of cracking I know that coloring fondant compromises the fondant and this may happen but it was a bad tub of fondant right from the start!! I purchased mine at golda's in Canada. This is the first time I have had any problems with the satin ice I find it to generally be a good fondant to work with.

rava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rava Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:57am
post #3 of 5

What a coincidence! I used blue Satin Ice on a cake I made this weekend (to save time, yeah right!!), and I found it extremely difficult to use. I ended up using more shortening and glycerine just to get the finish semi-smooth. I still ended up with wrinkles at the base and a few pock marks, but was able to hide most flaws with decorations.

I thought it was the brand (my first time using SI), but maybe it was just a bad batch. Either way, I think I'll stick to making my own fondant. I made the red fondant on the same cake http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2088588/, and had no issues with tearing or smoothing.

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 5

Wow Rava- you are SO talented- I am blown away!!! I have never made fondant- I may give it a try

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:51am
post #5 of 5

I had the same problem with the blue satin ice that I purcchased too.. I did put it in the microwave to warm up and it was fine but I have had to do this with every bit that I use.

I have never had any problem with any of the other satin ice that I purchased.
This was the dark blue not the pastel.

I don't think your going to have any luck with returns. I have tried to return a product that was shipped to me open and all there excuse to me was that
that sometimes happens. someone opens it on the shelf, or it comes open..
I thought well thats not my problem.. when the bottle is almost empty and all over the other stuff shipped in the box.I thought your packers should check but still no i am sorry or anything.. but something about the health codes on returned food items.

good luck..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%